1 (edited by Lu456 2012-12-02 09:20:58)

Topic: Polysics and the Oricon Chart

For the longest time, I've always been curious to know how does Polysics do on the Japanese Oricon charts.

I don't know why, but there was a brief time I was actually under the impression they never charted, or rarely charted, boy am I glad I was wrong, but not completely right either. Based on the statistics, no Polysics record or single has ever reach beyond #20 on the chart and no record spends more than 5 weeks on the chart and no single spends more than 3 weeks. Bummer.

Now I know no one likes these stupid charts and these charts don't represent crap, but like I said, I'm always curious and I find it interesting out of all the material Polysics has released, which ones have been favored by the officials?

So here is some of the information I compiled from the Oricon website:

SINGLE: Highest to lowest - placement on the chart, then numbers of weeks spent on the chart

1. Young Oh! Oh! - #31 - 3 weeks
2. Shout Aloud/Beat Flash - #44 - 2 weeks
3. You-You-You - #45 - 3 weeks
4. Catch on Everywhere - #45 - 2 weeks
5. Electric Surfin' Go Go - #46 - 2 weeks
5. Lucky Star - #46 - 2 weeks
7. Everybody Say No - #49 - 2 weeks
8. Rocket - #52 - 3 weeks
9. XCT - #58 - 1 week (for some reason, they listed this as Urge On)
10. Pretty Good - #65 - 2 weeks
11. New Wave Jacket - #86 - 2 weeks
12. each life each end - #88 - 2 weeks
This I found surprising:
13! Coelakanth is Android - #96 - 2 weeks
14! Baby Bias - #109 - 2 weeks

Now for the Albums (also includes EP's, live, and best of) - Same structure as the singles.

1. Absolute POLYSICS (studio) - #21 - 5 weeks
2. We ate the machine (studio) - #26 - 5 weeks
3. BESTOISU!!!! (Best of) - #26 - 4 weeks
4. Oh NO! IT's Heavy Polysick (studio) - #27 - 4 weeks
5. KARATE HOUSE (studio) - #27 - 3 weeks
6. 15th P! (studio) - #27 - 2 weeks
7. NEU! (studio) - #36 - 2 weeks
8. EEE-P! (EP) - #38 - 2 weeks
9. We ate the show (Live) - #48 - 2 weeks
10. Now is the time (studio) - #55 - 3 weeks
11. ENO (studio) - #61 - 1 week
12. LO-BITS (EP) - #97 - 1 week
13. National P (studio) - #109 - 1 week
14. 1st P/A.D.S.R.M. (Re-release) - #175 - 1 week
15. Kaja Kaja Goo (EP) - #196 - 1 week
16. POLYSICS or DIE!!! (Best of) - #245 - 1 week
This I found surprising:
17! For Young Electric Pop (studio) - N/A - N/A (Either there is no info found for the album or the album did not chart)

Here is a direct link to the band's profile on the site: http://www.oricon.co.jp/prof/artist/19405/

Re: Polysics and the Oricon Chart

http://www.coelakanth.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=28

I could never work out the reason for the For Young Electric Pop chart position (or lack of one), maybe because of the World Cup. The sales of records have dropped dramatically since the early 2000's though (hence New Wave Jacket and Each Life Each End still being their strongest selling singles.

Re: Polysics and the Oricon Chart

ahh okay so this was already posted, haha thanks so much for letting me know, I'm sure we can take down this thread ^^