Re: Polysics' new single “Lucky Star” in August

I don't completely agree with you Pupponvesh. I have to say I never noticed the repetitive drums that much, my focus usually goes to everything else but the drums xD

Honestly, I don't think the drums are the problem here. Yano does one hell of a job and in the end they are still drums. You can do many creative things with other instruments, but drums tend to be very narrow in their capabilities (I feel like i'll be proven wrong by someone soon xD)
The problem is that the synths are way to clean and that draws attention to the drums. The fact that they rely more on a sequencer just adds more repetitiveness. It really shows on the DVD where they play some of the older songs, the old gritty synths have been replaced with the sequencer churning out more complicated but repetitive patterns.

They need to think more about what they can do live on stage instead of what they can paste together in the studio and then press play on stage. I would love seeing Fumi on the microKORG again to pick up the loss of Kayo. Remove some of the blips and bloops and get those synths whaling.

That being said, I do enjoy these songs. Lucky star is surprisingly catchy and is quite enjoyable underneath the bleeps and bloops. Fumi did a great job on the vocals.

as for the upcoming single, the 2 updated songs are Watson and KI KA I DA. KI KA I DA, not really excited to hearing those. I predict lots of bleeps and bloops.

NatsuBamBam | Polysics information and community

I loved seeing a lot of the older songs on the DVD. I reeeaallly wanna see the full concert though!!

Maybe I need to give the actual single and B-side another listen, but I wasn't too impressed. I wish they'd give us more "How Are You?" and way less "Have a Good Night". Heck, I'd say that Have a Good Night comes together better than these two songs. I do prefer Lucky Star more, but like Pupponvesh said, I'd never expect this from Polysics a few years ago.

I think my main problem with these songs is how disjointed the lyrics sound with the music, heck with the rest of the lyrics of the song. It's hard to explain, but it just doesn't flow and it's heavily effecting my opinion on the songs.

http://i40.tinypic.com/x3dbtg.jpg

I don't post here much anymore but I still have a fond appreciation for Polysics. Hit me up on Twitter @west_haven if you really wanna talk to me smile

I'd LOVE to see the new PV, but alas, I'm experiencing the same IP / region block on YT that others here are reporting...here are the URLs that I'd LOVE to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMwBAkynss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt22V7-hTeI

I tried some JP proxies today, but it's either my lack of tech skills, or somehow I'm not configuring myself correctly, because I was not able to resolve a connection.

I noticed that Mistabeen reported trouble with ripping software with names I'm not familiar with...

I've had excellent experiences with proxy connections and a FireFox Plug-in called Video Downloadhelper. It's feee, and when visiting YT you can choose all available streams (everything from Flash, SD, MP4 HD, all the way up to 4K where available). 

This is the FireFox install page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … oadhelper/

This is a description of the plug-in: http://www.downloadhelper.net/

If you've tried this and it doesn't work, then - never mind.

On the other hand, perhaps Mistabeen could share a link for JP proxies that are working (my sources don't seem to work).

Thanks!

Meanwhile, I was also blown away with the severely shortened concert teaser on the DVD. Seems like the advertising was a little unclear...I guess "digest" is a word that I must now more carefully consider...

A couple of thoughts about the marketing department - why would Polysics / K-Loon deliberately region block their promo materials on Youtube? The only thing I can think of is that maybe they're planning a North American / Euro-Zone promotion (tour??!!) and they are holding back on those markets until they're ready to launch - wouldn't that be COOL!!!? ...However, it is probably wishful thinking on my part, and if that is the case, then it is also totally short-minded thinking on their part.

I'll look into the software you linked Ruth, thanks smile

as for the last point you talked on, I highly doubt that is the case. The channel is named polysicsSMEJ, SMEJ standing for Sony Music Entertainment Japan... and Sony are just dicks in general xD I think they just default to setting it regionlocked because they are responsible for that region and nothing else.

Parts of 'Lucky Star' bear more than a passing resemblance to parts of 'Raw'. On first listen I prefer it to "No Control'.

wanna light more

31 (edited by Mistabeen 2012-08-24 11:15:00)

I have given up on ripping that youtube channel, it is IMPOSSIBLE. Every software I tried will not work, no idea if this is because of the regionblock or not.

On the bright side however, someone else torrented the PV so enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwuzBKPztLg

edit: and it's blocked due to copyright (DAMN YOU SONY!)
brb mirroring it

http://www.jpopasia.com/group/polysics/ … 27054.html

Thanks for the link eye.
I'm currently trying to get it uploaded in 1080p but the copyright detection is a bit of a bitch. It really pisses me off too to see "Video blocked worldwide.".
So they'll claim copyright on a global level but will only limit the viewing to Japanese region ... that's just a dick move

A dozen listens later I really like 'Lucky Star'. I think it is a well crafted song, Fumi sounds great. 'No Control' still needs to grow on me. Thanks to eye for the video link - having watched it once I need never see it again.
As for the DVD: More than ever I am seeing/hearing that big Kayo-shaped hole. The sequencer parts on 'Electric Surfin' Go Go' sound positively awful compared to the rich thick swooping notes that used to be there. I know Hayashi said he re-wrote the sequencer parts from scratch after Budokan and took out what he felt was unnecessary, but hearing 'Coelakanth' without those synth arpeggios in the chorus, I feel he didn't always make the right choice! Still, I would like to see the whole show.

wanna light more

35 (edited by west_haven 2012-08-25 02:14:45)

Lucky Star is sounding a bit better to me, but I'm not liking how there is no pattern (wish there was a better word to explain it) to the lyrics. They just don't flow right and it really makes the entire song sound awkward. Fumi's singing is really nice though, and I'm glad we're hearing it more now.

I think this is one of their weakest releases. It just kind of sounds like they're slapping things together, and the video definitely proves that. What the FUCK is with that PV??? It's not even a good weird like the Black Out Fall Out or Kaja Kaja Goo music videos. I'd love to see the drawings (by Yano, I bet) of the band that flash by some, but the rest of the video is pretty lackluster.

I hate to say things like this about the band, but man, I hope they get things sorted out better. I think right now, they're just experimenting with even more random stuff than usual, just like how they put Fumi on drums and then have all three on guitars during some live songs; they're having fun, and I respect that, but I just hope they get past this soon.

I don't post here much anymore but I still have a fond appreciation for Polysics. Hit me up on Twitter @west_haven if you really wanna talk to me smile

eee-P and Heavy Polysick were pretty strong releases considering they had just lost Kayo. But this seems like a wackwards step. I like Lucky Star, and No.Control isn't bad, but they aren't especially strong songs.

The sequencer sounds nice, but for a whole gig it would get repetitive. The old songs certainly miss something without the synths though.

eye wrote:

eee-P and Heavy Polysick were pretty strong releases considering they had just lost Kayo. But this seems like a wackwards step. I like Lucky Star, and No.Control isn't bad, but they aren't especially strong songs.

The sequencer sounds nice, but for a whole gig it would get repetitive. The old songs certainly miss something without the synths though.

I liked eee-P!!! more than Heavy Polysick, but yeah, this doesn't seem like a strong single. I'm still going to give the songs a chance, though, and of course I'm hoping that the next single (and the eventual album) will be great as well.

I actually really like Lucky Star. What makes it feels better than some of their newer songs is that it has a more synthesizer-playing sound than their newer sequencer sound; it's like I can imagine Kayo actually being able to play/have a part in this song. No Control on the other hand, still has the newer vibe to it.

It does have a odd song pattern... I still like it though! big_smile.

1-2-3-4-5-6-89!