1 (edited by IAmSancho 2010-03-01 17:20:51)

Topic: Polysics 2/14 Review

Note: There is an audio recording of this show floating around the net. wink

Polysics fired out another high energy chaotic set last night at the Middle East. Although the doors were at 8:00, the opening band did not start playing until 10:30, which resulted in alot of the people who showed up scratching there heads and waiting 2 and a half hours for the opening band.

One thing that I noticed which I thought was extremely interesting was the free giveaways to those who bought merchandise from the band. Usually when bands play in Japan, they usually have incentives for people to buy  merch at the show. On there US tour, or at least at the Boston stop, the band were giving away free promotional booklets from Myspace Music, which had a little essay on the band, as well as a diagram relating to all the bands that influenced Polysics. On top of that, the band also included two stickers, one being the Polysics badge logo from  there KArate House era, as well as a smaller sticker with the Absolute Polysics artwork. This fact kind of made me wish they had more stuff for sale, because I really wanted more stickers.

The opening band was rather bland and confused alot of people in the crowd. There style was indie acoustic music, and no one expected this at a Polysics show. However, the set was short, so they were pretty much on and off the stage in about half an hour and Polysics began setting up the instruments.

About half an hour goes by, and the stage manager (Who I remember being the manager during the Now is the Time!-era, which was the last time I saw them) came out and gave the regular speech about how cameras and audio recording were prohibited, and then the band burst onto the stage.

The show was only 1 hour long, however the band managed to squeeze in 18 tracks. This pretty much allowed no rest in between songs, which kept the energy level high. However, the security at the Middle East can pretty much piss off, due to the facts that a.) They decided to stand in front of half the crowd, which wouldn't matter but they were quite tall. and b.) when it came time for the encore, one of the guards was seen with his finger up to his mouth, saying "shhh, I just want to go home." Other then these minor annoyances, the show was perfect.

Quite a few Japanese fans made the trek to America for various shows. It was interesting seeing the Japanese fans' reactions to not only the band, but the venues and audiences. Since the show I attended was a relatively young crowd, there was a mini mosh pit, if you can even call it that. And since alot of the Japanese fans were located in the front, they really had no idea how to react to such a rowdy crowd (usually in Japan, the crowds are alot more subdued and focused on watching the band). However, when it came to the synchronized parts of the performances (the interlude in Young OH! OH!, the clapping in Baby Bias and the Hand waves in Rocket), it seemed that not only the Japanese fans knew how to react, but a large portion of the American fans knew what to do as well (I am guessing from various live performances on Both youtube and DVD).

As the night came to an end, the crowd was just as exhausted as the band. Since it was a late show (like I said previously, the doors were at 8 and the show didn't start till 10:30), alot of the crowd had forfilled there goals of meeting the band prior to the set, and quickly made an exit so they could go home and pass out or, in my case, barely catch the last train to get home. However, no one left disappointed, and many fans left with anticipation of Polysics' next visit.

P!
Young OH! OH!
Peach Pie on the Beach
New Wave Jacket
Digital Coffee
Beat Flash
E.L.T.C.C.T
Bero Bero
I My Me Mine
Saiminjutsu de GO
Baby Bias
Rocket
Fire Bison
Kaja Kaja Goo
Coelakanth is Android
Shout Aloud

Enc.
Wasabi
Electric Surfing Go Go

Re: Polysics 2/14 Review

Nice report dude. The Japanese fans certainly added another level of fun to the DC show. I spent a lot of the time just watching the girls in front of me doing the dance moves. I wasn't perving.... honest....

Hiro gave me that booklet and sticker thing even though I didn't buy anything, they'd run out of merchandise by the DC show.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2295/photosn987opyxc7.jpg

IAmSancho wrote:

About half an hour goes by, and the stage manager (Who I remember being the manager during the Now is the Time!-era, which was the last time I saw them) came out and gave the regular speech about how cameras and audio recording were prohibited, and then the band burst onto the stage.

I hate that guy already before having even seen him IRL
Footage from their shows and clips on youtube is what got me into contact with polysics in the first place tongue

IAmSancho wrote:

Quite a few Japanese fans made the trek to America for various shows. It was interesting seeing the Japanese fans' reactions to not only the band, but the venues and audiences. Since the show I attended was a relatively young crowd, there was a mini mosh pit, if you can even call it that. And since alot of the Japanese fans were located in the front, they really had no idea how to react to such a rowdy crowd (usually in Japan, the crowds are alot more subdued and focused on watching the band). However, when it came to the synchronized parts of the performances (the interlude in Young OH! OH!, the clapping in Baby Bias and the Hand waves in Rocket), it seemed that not only the Japanese fans knew how to react, but a large portion of the American fans knew what to do as well (I am guessing from various live performances on Both youtube and DVD).

I think these last shows with kayo must have been perfect to get in touch with the Japanese fans, from what i hear there were quite a few smile

Great report ^^ makes me regret it even more that I didn't follow in mark's footsteps and crossed the ocean myself xD

NatsuBamBam | Polysics information and community

4 (edited by IAmSancho 2010-03-02 00:29:19)

You could take photos/video/audio if you were really sneaky about it. I remember when is aw them back in 05 it was flash photo that was prohibited, which really ticked me off due to the fact that I bought a new digi cam for the show, and when I get there I see the 'no digital cameras', so I go to CVS and buy a dispoasable camera, just to come back and see the 'no flash photography'. sign on the door. They were kicking people out who took pictures as well, so I didnt want to risk it

also, my goddamned dog just ate the mini absolute polysics sticker i had, good thing i already put the logo sticker on my mini korg.

I thought the whole "no photos" thing was to do with Myspace wanting the rights to any photos or videos of the concerts but that's just me guessing. Sean the tour manager can seem like a bit of a dick but I kissed his ass at every opportunity and he came to find me at the end of the DC show to give me a useless backstage pass big_smile

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2295/photosn987opyxc7.jpg

Naw, it is def. the Japanese record lable flexing there muscles. Which I find really annoying, if the band wants to tour and sell CDs in America, why should we be forced to play by a Japanese record lables rules? shouldn't it be up to the band to decide on photography? I can see no audio/video, because most american bands or venues do the same rule. But to risk being kicked out of the show for a simple photograph?

I could go on and on about annoyances in regards to Japanese and American relations (not letting Americans use Yahoo Japan, but having open access to eBay is a huge pet peve for me), but I won't get into it.

Great write-up Mr. Sancho! I love re-living the show through these stories. (I may have heard this mysterious recording you speak of, and I may have really liked it, but that's all I will say.)

I got busted near the end of the DC show for sneaking pics, but the bouncer just fussed at me and walked away thankfully. I would have been beside myself if I had been thrown out.

Truthfully I understand the ban on cameras to a certain extent. I have been to shows were literally almost everybody had a camera out, and it can distract badly from a show when a whole audience is holding them up. But I love looking at all the pics after the show!

The show itself: It was great! Sooooo much fun!

Japanese fans: I loved seeing how happy they were. That really made the night even better.

Merch: As I mentioned before, I brought a stack of dough to buy some stuff, but most of the goodies were all gone! Mildly bummed, but I'll get over it. Got some CDs and those stickers with the booklet, though. And most awesome of all, autographs!