Topic: Weeeeeeeeee!!!

Guess I'll be the one to start this mandatory thread:

It's a new album! Its bad name aside- seriously, they've only had maybe three good album titles in my opinion- I'm impressed that they've released it this year. I thought there would be half a chance that they would given they'll have released a second single for it this month- but that's only 50%.

I have a feeling that the pink backgrounded picture- located in the lower left corner of their website- currently used to advertise their Facebook page will be the album cover: on their Facebook page, click on 'Photos' and there will a folder named 'Untitled Album' (inexplicably given they've released the album title) and- well it's there hmm which would logically mean they are sticking with the grey uniforms sad

Re: Weeeeeeeeee!!!

Oh I was just about to write one about this, but I was making the "Everybody Say No" one first tongue. I guess I'll post the info then:

POLYSICS
New Album
『Weeeeeeeeee!!!』
2012.12.5 Release

(CD+DVD) Limited Edition KSCL 2163-2164:  ¥3,500
(CD) Standard Edition KSCL 2165 : ¥3,059

The DVD is expected to have 2 Music Videos and other never-before-seen rare footage. Something in that sense...

1-2-3-4-5-6-89!
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll381/hagaren987/national_p02.gif

Ha, I should know by now not to be surprised by how random Polysics can be. I realize this now with this title!!

Mark, what are the titles that you DO like? I think all the classic albums (pre-WATM, more or less) are great titles. The track titles in Heavy Polysick gave me the feeling "random for random's sake", which is something I don't like. That's why I'm wondering what the new album is going to be like, since that seems almost in that same vein. It all depends on the music!

Ah, and the new album comes out a few weeks before my birthday.... if only I could con someone to get it for me :B

http://i40.tinypic.com/x3dbtg.jpg

I don't post here much anymore but I still have a fond appreciation for Polysics. Hit me up on Twitter @west_haven if you really wanna talk to me smile

Well to eliminate some easy targets-- 'Neu', 'Eno' and 'Absolute POLYSICS' are lazy references of other bands/artists.

Then in regarding a couple of other albums-- 'A.D.S.R.M!' looks like Hiro wanted to show off his knowledge of digital music production; and 'Now is the Time!' seems like a slap to the face of Junichi Sugai who left the band, and also a lacklustre way of asserting themselves.

Okay that's five up to now :3

I'll go onto the album titles I do like. 'We Ate the Machine' because it gives an indication of what to expect in the album- and also because it just sounds so damn intriguing! Also 'For Young Electric Pop' for largely the same reason although it differs because it sounds like a design brief-  which was actually the case and I don't know if I read that from here or not...

The other three album titles for me are harder to evaluate.

I have a hard time remembering the title 'Oh! No! It's Heavy Polysick!!!'- I keep thinking it's 'Oh! No! I'm Heavy Polysick!!!'. I mean the real title seems grammatically incorrect or maybe I'm looking at it from a different sense(?): that this album is sick rather than there being an actual illness...somewhere.

'National P' seems- after thinking it through for the first time today instead of just continuing to accept it- like they 'want' to assert the P shown on the album cover as the P of Japan: to make it another icon of the country alongside the national bird, flower etc. Furthermore it looks like a direct challenge to P-Model! From having actually thought about this title I actually like it now but obviously it was baffling and meaningless to me before.

'Karate House'?!

So there are only three original album titles I like out of the ten already released and in getting back on the topic of this thread-- the eleventh one won't change this.

This has been an incredibly pretentious post-- for which I apologise-- but I wanted to justify my reasoning: plus I feel like I've finally figured out what 'National P' means. Right, I'm now (not) off to analyse the font used for the printed lyrics.

I can understand where you're coming from. For me, all the titles for the albums before and including Absolute POLYSICS just seem to somehow fit and flow with the band. They seem like each a different era and a different feel. It's hard for me to think about Heavy Polysick as a new era though, since its still kind of on going, and I haven't favored some of the songs as much as previous tracks. I just love and appreciate all the titles of the albums.

I don't post here much anymore but I still have a fond appreciation for Polysics. Hit me up on Twitter @west_haven if you really wanna talk to me smile

01. Sparkling Water
02. Lucky Star
03. Distortion
04. Steam Pack
05. Ice, Tights, Mike
06. Why
07. Quiet Smith
08. Kitchen Ban Ban
09. Lightning Express
10. Raptus
11. High Kcal
12. Everybody Say No
13. Round The World
14. Weeeeeeeeee!!!

Track names are insane; I had to google what Raptus meant! Also, Distortion -> Disorder, Why -> What and Round The World -> Not POLYSICS. Getting (slightly) serious again, all I can think of with Lightning Express is Hard Rock Thunder.

"Ice, Tights, Mike" had to lol at this. Only polysics can come up with these kind of titles smile

8 (edited by drink slurm 2012-11-05 17:53:29)

In most cases, English titles for songs, fictional characters, etc, are just because the words sound cool, not because they have any deep significance. 

I mean, if people like Mukai Shutoku and Goichi Suda are anything to go by.  Off the top of my head, they freely admit they use English words because of how they sound.

VERY apprehensive about this album.  "Lucky Star" made me nearly sick at first, but now I understand how the song goes, and am used to it.  They wanted a new "Baby BIAS"  i get it.

It's weird, so much material over the past few years has been sort of starting from scratch to reassemble a new POLY set list to replace all the old hits.  It's almost like a director going back 20 years later to remake his own film.  I don't really like the new "hand drawn" style in all their packaging and promo shoots.  I think it lacks personality, and doesn't gel with their robotic and hi-fi sound.  All it does is look cute. 

All this is interesting to observe from afar, but that is sort of the problem.  What is bothering me the most is that it feels like the record label has taken this band over a bit.  Region locked youtube channels.  Increasingly more modern Japanese pop sound.  Very little old-school new wave influence.  They haven't been overseas in almost three years. 

I mean, back in 2006, this band had debuted a brand new sound, a UK produced album with tons of new wave influence, a constant connection with a worldwide audience (exporting releases, world tours).  Now it just feels like Sony grabbed them by the wrist and said "you're playing for Japan now"

or this could all be in my head.  I loved Oh! No! despite it not being what I wanted from them.  Maybe this will surprise me too.

annnnnd the cover

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md67knH56y1qb2ab9o1_1280.jpg

I like the cover. Does the face obscured by the title belong to Alex Newport?

wanna light more

Listening to the snippets on sonymusicjp, I can definitely say that it's different even compared their eee-P!!! songs... Which is kind of sad because I liked the way those songs were made..

1-2-3-4-5-6-89!
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll381/hagaren987/national_p02.gif

12 (edited by ?!mark't 2012-12-07 00:21:06)

http://www.jbook.co.jp/p/p.aspx/4462100/s/ <- track times.

So the album duration is 37:45

Edit: 40:59 dammit

I have to admit, after listening to the samples, I'm pretty excited for this new record, these songs sound pretty interesting. One thing is these songs sound like they are fully developed. I didn't get that feeling from Oh no, its heavy polysick. Plus they added in some new interesting sounds to accompany this album, so overall, I'm really excited for this new record, only 5 more days! big_smile

Lightning express is the one I'm most excited for, that one sounded great! ^_^

It's Out now! big_smile

Hi everyone

Does someone knows how to buy a downladable version of the album ? I'm so frustrated... The samples are so great...
Thanks

Fred, newbie from France

17 (edited by ?!mark't 2012-12-07 00:36:56)

I humbly apologise: I got the album duration wrong somehow as that linked page has been updated (I'm pretty sure anyway I don't think I would miss it) to give it as 40:59. I actually recalculated it again in the hope that I didn't make such a simple mistake and it came out as 40:53 O_o but regardless it definitly isn't 37:45: seems really obvious now in hindsight ;((((

*goes into self-exile*

edit: @ftbo: I know you won't be able to buy from the Japanese version of iTunes unless you live there and have a national bank card-- and I think that's the only place -.-

I think I've reached the end of the road. It shouldn't be this hard to legally get hold of music by a band you love, and the Youtube block is just spiteful.

Sayonara, Polysics. I'm done. It was fun while it lasted.

TheMongKey wrote:

I think I've reached the end of the road. It shouldn't be this hard to legally get hold of music by a band you love, and the Youtube block is just spiteful.

Sayonara, Polysics. I'm done. It was fun while it lasted.

I'm there with you. I've tried really hard the past couple of months, but the latest shit they (or their management) pulled sort of ended it for me. I'll just enjoy the old work of the band but I'm not putting any more cash in the new releases.

NatsuBamBam | Polysics information and community

why are you guys giving up so quickly???
Sure the material is much more difficult to get a hold of, but isn't it more the fact people are trying to crack down on piracy and sharing? Knowing Polysics, they may just do what they've done with 15th P and oh no its heavy polysick and just release it digitally.

I'm sure back then during the time Eno, For Young, and even National P was being released and having tours, those materials were just as hard to get ahold of outside of Japan.

I wouldn't say it's hard to get a hold off. I'd preorder their stuff the moment it was announced.

What I am annoyed with is their sudden drop in care for the international fans.
After Kayo left and they went on "hiatus" (which only lasted a couple of months so go figure) they pretty much ceased any form of promotion on an international level. The only form of communication they offered in English was them announcing some of their releases were available on itunes.
They never even gave some form of information why this happened. The only thing that came close was a paragraph of text near the bottom of a newsletter saying they wouldn't be touring any time soon.

People are WILLING to spend the money, but they don't seem to bother offering us something. Their tshirt shop for example is Japan only. They used to subcontract their tshirts to an online store. Something that would give the international fan some love and doesn't require any effort from them.

Now to add insult to injury they blocked their youtube channel to international viewers. They clearly have no broadcast right issues for the international market (they aren't marketing it on an international level, so I don't see why they'd sell the rights to a third party) so it seems completely crazy that they wouldn't open it up.

Their last 2 LE singles were a complete ripoff when it came to the extras, and the content of their latest single was horrendous. Everybody say no was doable, the rest was..... insulting?

I am sure 90% of this is due to mismanagement. But lately it feels more like a need to collect it all over buying it because I really enjoy what they are doing.

It's been fun while it lasted, but I'd prefer remebering the good times I had with Polysics than keep getting more frustrated every time.

NatsuBamBam | Polysics information and community

The rest of the world just isn't ready for Yano on guitar

http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/201212/09/06/d0281306_5402341.jpg

But seriously, that was the kind of thing I was talking about earlier in this thread.  It really feels like Sony Ki/oon OWNS Polysics now, and they're under the thumb of the old self-entitled Japan.

Despite that, I still am looking forward to hearing the album some day.  The samples I heard actually surprised me.  It sounds really spastic and pinballing all over the place.

Anyways, if you're all fed up over this...  breathe.  Head over tho iTunes or Amazon, whatever, and buy the new We Are The Physics album (Your Friend, The Atom) instead.  It's better than any Polysics album from the last 5 years.  And I'm not saying that to trash Polysics.  It's just that good.

After tracking this puppy down, and putting it in a public place where people outside of Japan could have a look at it, I posted it in "the Band" section, but I'm thinking maybe it should be here in this forum, under this thread:

http://www.dailymotion.com/ruthyruth5

Basically it is a 98 second video promo for Weeeeee! that Sony put on Youtube Japan and then restricted the rest of the world from seeing it.

Why a record company would deliberately want to restrict the sales of one of its artists I can not understand, but that is what they are doing in the case of Weeeeee! (How many "e"s are there in the title anyway?)

-RR

This album friggin rocks. I'm aware that people like the same band for different reasons, but this is totally pushing all the right buttons for me. Best release since eee-P. I'm in love with them all over again.

wanna light more

I wish I could hear the new album...... I ran out of money buying Christmas presents..... if I get any more birthday money, though, it'll go towards the new album and the regular editions of the singles.