Topic: Polysics' new single “Lucky Star” in August

Just saw this pop up all over twitter

POLYSICS has announced that they will be releasing a new single titled “Lucky Star” on August 22nd.

“Lucky Star” will be the band’s first single in three years and two months, when they released their single “Young OH! OH!” in June of 2009. The title track is said to be a pop tune that bassist Fumi put her heart and soul into as the main vocalist of the song. A coupling track titled “No.Control” will also be included for a total of two new tracks from the band.

Fans can purchase two different versions of the single: a limited CD+DVD version and a regular CD-only vrsion. The limited edition DVD will contain a digest movie of their “MEMORIAL LIVE OR DIE!!! ~Shuku!!! 1000-bon!!! ‘OmedeTOISU!’ to Itte Kure!!!~“, which they held at SHIBUYA-AX in Tokyo on March 3rd.

Check out the jacket cover below, and stay tuned for more on their latest release!

source: http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/06/polysi … in-august/

http://static.tokyohive.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/20120624_polysics-600x450.jpg
http://static.tokyohive.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/20120624_luckystar-600x594.jpg

NatsuBamBam | Polysics information and community

Re: Polysics' new single “Lucky Star” in August

my 2 cents:
I welcome a new single, looking forward to hear what direction they are taking this. I'm not sure if the DVD will be worth the extra money, but my collection obsession will sucker me into buying it anyway xD
I like the first picture a lot, the second one however is what my nightmares are made of tongue

also yano really needs to get a haircut :3

Wonder if it will be a 'pop tune' similar to Cleaning, or more like FYEP era stuff. Or completely different.

Excited to hear it smile

LOL- Yes Yano looks scraggy there. Thanks for the information- I wonder when they'll have a new album out and if its standard will be affected by 15th P? Also I'm interested in No.Control simply because of the full stop hmm I'm always a sucker for slanted takes on words/phrases even though it should usually be taken as a warning sign that they are desperate for ideas.

What's a 'digest movie'? Does that mean some small clips of the concert or whole songs? Well excited for some new material though xD

JimmyK wrote:

What's a 'digest movie'? Does that mean some small clips of the concert or whole songs? Well excited for some new material though xD

Not small clips, probably more like select songs; I guess it's kinda like DVDVPVDVLIVE!!.

1-2-3-4-5-6-89!

It will be nice to hear something new from the band...BUT lest we forget, Polysics is / are employees of a record company - they have to put out something.

What I'm saying is, Post-Budokan we're observing a new band forging a new personality. It was just  six or eight days before the tri-fecta of catostrophes that Post-Budokan Polysics played Shibuya-AX  in March of 2011 of which a DVD and CD were born.

In that concert, it is also noteworthy to mention that there was a great deal of synth "programming", or "playback" of synth-rifs that represented the missing member...

Yet, in the same concert, we also observed Fumi playing a larger, and more interesting role: double percussion with a guitar for "Boy's Head", there was a new...uh...a new, "value added" rendition of "Pike" that reveals a new way of thinking - more like a trio then an amputated quartet...and, icing on my cake, "Smile to Me" - a new original song reflecting the same sense of thunder underneath the new version of Pike, giving us a feel for where the trio might be headed.

I have no idea what to expect from "Lucky Star". All I can hope for is that they keep doing what they feel, rather than what they fear (meaning losing their jobs if they don't have a hit).

That is no small task when you have to pay rent, feed the cat, etc., and just like everybody else, the on- and offstage members of Polysic have to do that - it's easy to drift to the "dark" side, to write music "for the man" - to write thinking sales rather than hearts -I hope that is NOT what happens.

It's mentioned that Fumi's "heart" was / is put into Lucky Star. I hope that's true. I can't imagine that it isn't.  But I'm not going to read anything into that.

I want their work to be organically successful. I WANT them to inspire confidence in their employers to the extent that those employers are willing to venture sending them overseas again - to come to our neighborhoods where we have the chance to buy tickets, bring friends and remind them they are not forgotten (in a way that convinces the powers-that-be it was worth the risk - meaning, "Money talks, bullshit walks".)

When I look back at the Polysics post-Budokan  / pre-tri-fecta catastrophe artwork, I see that there was some thought about the band travelling, taking over the world so to speak - photos of them examining postcards of distant exotic locals like Paris and New York. That whole idea seemed to vanish with Sendai and Fukishima. 

Now that I think about it, I believe Fumi might have been particularly touched / hit hard by the catastrophes - her presence on the Internet (tweets / facebook) seemed to have had a six week hole in the ground shortly after mother-nature visited the north of Japan.

Where am I going with this? Mmmm...Post-Budokan Polysics bounced back and showed lots of promise (they did have more than one year's time to consider the transition in advance of Kayo's departure). As stated, evidenced in a few key moments at Shibuya-AX in March 2011, along with evidence of a possible international venture. 

The whole country of Japan, one way or another got knocked down by the catastrophes. Polysics seems to be coming back, celebrating a 1000 live shows and 15 years of existence...my hope is that the new single will be a hit inside and outside of Japan and the decision makers decide to lay some bread on the table to send the band overseas to visit us!!

And let us hope as well, that the band loves their jobs so much that such an idea is exciting for them too. Let us not forget that every time they go on stage, whether in Japan or somewhere else, they have to perform as if it's the first time (instead of the millionth time) that they play our favorite songs. It's hard work to do that.

If "Lucky Star" is part of a formation of the new personality of the band, then it will be a hit - I believe that because it will mean as much to them as to us. So let's hope for that. Because then they would be a step closer to finding their new identity, and perhaps, hopefully, a step closer to making a new tour outside of Japan.

My fingers hurt, I've typed too much...

Toisu!
-RR

If the DVD has Yano playing guitar, it's worth it to me.

Following on from eye's thoughts as I didn't even notice the 'pop tune' description in the article(!)- It might sound like something off New Album by Boris who are normally a sludge rock band (kinda) but for this they broaderned their horizons (rather drastically) after becoming interested in how people were utilising the vocaloid technology not for evil (or JPop) but for rock orientated music (actually they've only elaborated on the 'interested in vocaloids' part- the rest is my theory but it is true that composers aren't sticking to JPop with vocaloids). Obviously POLYSICS would be coming at this from another perspective and land at a different theme but I think very vaguely it'll strike a nice compromise between sounding grimy and sterile.

Oh and I haven't listened to New Album by Boris just to drop all my credibility in writing this post.

?!mark't wrote:

Oh and I haven't listened to New Album by Boris just to drop all my credibility in writing this post.

You should hear it, it's a great album! (Preferably the Sargent House [US] version)

I'm really looking forward to hearing these new songs. It's a very interesting and exciting time to be a POLYSICS fan.

wanna light more

DVD track listing up now:

<Disc2 DVD>※初回生産限定盤のみ
MEMORIAL LIVE OR DIE!!! ~祝!!! 1000本!!!
「おめでTOISU!」と言ってくれ!!!~ダイジェスト!!!

01. Buggie Technica
02. T・RIANGLE
03. Tei! Tei! Tei!
04. Pretty Good
05. ムチとホース
06. 1.2.ダー!
07. KASUGAI
08. TIME SHOCK!
09. Head O' clock
10. LED
11. Moog is Love
12. How are you?
13. Beat Flash
14. シーラカンス イズ アンドロイド
15. Smile to Me
16. Let's ダバダバ
17. Shizuka is a machine doctor
18. Electric Surfin' Go Go

IAmSancho wrote:

DVD track listing up now:

<Disc2 DVD>※初回生産限定盤のみ
MEMORIAL LIVE OR DIE!!! ~祝!!! 1000本!!!
「おめでTOISU!」と言ってくれ!!!~ダイジェスト!!!

01. Buggie Technica
02. T・RIANGLE
03. Tei! Tei! Tei!
04. Pretty Good
05. ムチとホース
06. 1.2.ダー!
07. KASUGAI
08. TIME SHOCK!
09. Head O' clock
10. LED
11. Moog is Love
12. How are you?
13. Beat Flash
14. シーラカンス イズ アンドロイド
15. Smile to Me
16. Let's ダバダバ
17. Shizuka is a machine doctor
18. Electric Surfin' Go Go

T・RIANGLE and KASUGAI.

I will be complete if I see these.

1-2-3-4-5-6-89!

Hey, I haven't heard from POLYSICS in a few months, I bet there's..

New material. It happens every time. tongue

sound clip from Lucky Star
http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/?72000202_KS … 2097_01SFL

Nice. The 2 tracks sounds most like the absolute polysics album to me. Can't wait to hear the full versions smile

I'm not going to say what I think about the clips, so I'll save it for when the single with the full songs comes out.

http://i40.tinypic.com/x3dbtg.jpg

I don't post here much anymore but I still have a fond appreciation for Polysics. Hit me up on Twitter @west_haven if you really wanna talk to me smile

Love the synths in Lucky Star chorus. Like all 86 seconds so far smile

Just received a package in my mailbox this morning big_smile (I was surprised by how fast this went, to save money I picked the "slower" option on cdjapan to send with tracked airmail. It was shipped the 20th and arrived the 21st big_smile)

I have yet to check out the DVD, but the two numbers on the CD are actually pretty solid.
Again, something that comes up on EVERY new release of Polysics, so I better get done with it. No it's not the old early Polysics sound we all love, that sound will most likely never come back ;___; (obligatory tears big_smile)

Lucky star is VERY poppy but it is actually quite good, Fumi does a good job on the chorus and we have some Hiro on the vocoder (You know I'm a sucker for Polysics using the vocoder) It's upbeat, fastpaced (this seems to be so for both this and No control actually) and is just really catchy, you will be singing along second time around.

No Control is a lot like Lucky star in most aspects. It's a bit more grittier perhaps and doesn't have Fumi ont he vocals. But again fastpaced and you'll be singing along in no time with this one.

Now to go watch the DVD big_smile

Alright, just done watching the DVD. It's short..... like 20mins short. Songs are cut short to fit everything in the 20min.
It's still fun to watch tho, and very fast paced to see all the songs fly by so quick. But not sure if it was worth the extra money.

on the bright side: Fumi on the drums for Time shock (I LOVED their intro for time shock big_smile) and Yano on the guitar for Moog is love.

I am quite sure that the single is being seeded already and perhaps on your favorite videosite. I wouldn't be surprised if the DVD would be up real soon *COUGH COUGH*

Thank you for the uploads Mistabeen- It's a shame the bonus DVD was a bit of a sham and it's also strange that it will end up getting a full release in 2013 (I think): not sure if it'll help or hinder.

21 (edited by roundhouse87 2012-08-22 22:08:35)

Haha It was like "Here, buy this commercial for a Blu-Ray you will be buying next year." There is gonna be a second single with a similar DVD. i will still buy it to support the band but what a tease. I wanna see more Yano on guitar.

They also made a youtube channel that I haven't been able to access with a Lucky Star PV. I think they might have region locked the channel some how. Let me know if anyone can see it.

They regionlocked it yes. yet an other slap in the face of the international fans imo.

I have been able to bypass it by using a Japanese proxy, I have been unsuccesfull at ripping the video tho sad for some reason all youtube downloaders can't rip it (this may be because I am behind a proxy and god knows how those services do it)
There should be a way to rip it if I could find out the RTMP url of the video, but i'm having trouble getting wireshark to do it's thing. If someone knows more about finding out the RTMP url please let me know
I've tried recording it using camstudio, but I'm not all that big on videocodecs so I'm having a hard time finding out what compression to use etc.

All in all, I am putting way too much effort in what I think is their worst PV to date. The only reason I am doing all this effort is to make up for their (read: the management) blatent ignoring of the international fans.

Keep your eyes on the board, i'll be sharing a sourcefile soon containing all their previous tshirt designs. (you can get these yourselves directly from their website due to having a crappy graphic designer who knows shit about exporting PDF's for web xD but i'm just making it easier for those who don't)

I knew they were Rock-blocking me. I was wondering why so many Japanese people were liking the post on Facebook. Thanks for your efforts Mistabeen!!!

I received my copy of the single as well. As has been mentioned, it's incredibly lightweight (content-wise) for a CD/DVD release.

I'll dismiss the DVD first by bemoaning the truncated form it seems to have taken. Certainly fan-only material, nothing really amazing about it at all.

The single itself is only marginally better. I'll say straight away that I prefer the B-side, not entirely sure why, but neither track is great. Lucky Star is one of those "poly-pop" songs that includes the obligatory broken-English vocal that we've grown to love, but unfortunately it doesn't really work in this context. No Control sounds like something you'd hear in a Burnout or Need For Speed game. Listenable would be the word I'd use to describe it.

One thing that is really starting the grate with recent Polysics releases is the drumming. It's too fast and repetitive. It worked well on Young-Oh-Oh, but now everything just sounds really similar to my ears. I'm really starting to worry about the bands recent lack-of-ideas, I'd never imagine 5 years ago they'd be putting out material like this as an A-side release.

By the way, the official website seems to be carrying info on the next single. It's called Everybody Say No, and is out on Oct 24. B-sides seems to be a couple of updated old tracks. Someone work out what songs they are and create the thread.