1 (edited by ruthyruth 2012-03-19 00:46:34)

Topic: Confused about the whole anniversary thing...

The band was formed in 1997...right?

They released "Polysics or Die!!!! Vista" on October 9, 2007 to celebrate their 10th anniversary...right?

Budokan took place on March 14, 2010 and was called their "10th anniversary concert" (??) [aka Kayo Graduation] - and I believe somewhere in the course of things Hiyashi thanked Kayo for "12 years" (???)

Then, this year, this month, they played their "15th anniversary" concert at Shibuya AX (???)

How can you go from the "10th anniversary" to the "15th anniversary" in two years??

Anybody able to fill in the blanks...straighten the lines?

I did refer to the Wikipedia article, but the documentation is very thin, particularly in the area of specific dates as to what took place when, who joined, left / graduated, etc.

Thanks for any information anyone might be able to provide.

Regards,
-RR

2 (edited by Pupponvesh 2012-03-19 02:52:50)

Re: Confused about the whole anniversary thing...

I can see the confusion, and it's explained in the DVD's press release.

...."Techno punk group Polysics is celebrating their 10 years at a major record label with a huge concert at the Nippon Budokan."

So essentially, it was celebrating 10 years of being part of Sony. The stuff before that were all indie releases.

March 4th is an important day in Polysics history, so that's why a lot of concerts fall on that day. Their first concert was on 3/4/1997, so the 3/4/2007 was their 10th anniversary.

I wish that concert was released on DVD. I've only really found these clips of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYib-KtBBmg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URsmw_WzLMA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kNOUMHbORA

And I can fill in about the members of Polysics, just lemme get it all together again. Since Natsubambam.com went down, I don't have the handy link handy. Lemme find it all!

http://i40.tinypic.com/x3dbtg.jpg

I don't post here much anymore but I still have a fond appreciation for Polysics. Hit me up on Twitter @west_haven if you really wanna talk to me smile

4 (edited by west_haven 2012-10-03 01:50:48)

Okay, found it! For simplicity, I will copy/paste it all here:

COMPLETE POLYSICS MEMBER LIST
1. Hayashi Hiroyuki, 1997-present. Born August 8, 1978. He is an original member of Polysics and he came up with the idea of he band after watching a Devo music video. Fresh out of high school, he started Polysics with some of his classmates. He is the guitarist, singer, and programmer of the band and the first Polysics live was on 3/4/97. Hiro is a ball of energy on stage and is constantly moving and interacting with the crowd. In the first years of the band, his stage name was POLY1.

2. Makoto Kawabe, 1997. An original member of Polysics who left the band after the 4/14/97 show (roughly a month after the first Polysics live). Not much is known about him or what he did in the band.

3. Kaneko Shingo, 1997. An original member of Polysics who left the band in 11/97. He was the first keyboardist of Polysics, and was later replaced by Kayo in 3/98.

4. Sako Eisuke, 1997-1999. An original member of Polysics who left the band in 5/99, only three months after 1st P was released. He is credited with the keyboard, vocoder, and throwing bread during concerts. He is seen in the Plus Chicker PV, and in all live performances known of him, he is very energetic and looks very crazy. His stage name was POLY2.

5. Kayo, 1998-2010. Born March 27, 1979. After seeing some of their live shows, Kayo was approached by former classmate Hiro and joined the band in 3/98. She was the keyboardist and left the band in 3/10. Her first live show was on 3/3/98. Her on stage persona was that of a robot and her image became very iconic for the band. She sang countless songs and her pleasant voice was a great contrast to Hiro and Fumi's strong voices. In the first years of the band, her stage name was POLY3.

6. Sugai Junichi, 1998-2003. Born September 6, 1975. He was a drummer in the band and joined 4/98. He left around the time the Kaja Kaja Goo EP was released (5/03), and it is believed that he did not like the direction the band was going in. In the first years of the band, his stage name was POLY4.

7. Fumi Mutou [last name uncomfirmed], 1999-present. Born April 25, 1978. In 6/99, Fumi was invited by Hiro to be the support bassist of the band during live shows, even though at the time she a guitarist of a band called 54NUDE HONEYS. She participated in the Neu album in 2000 and then was made an official member in 6/01. Her first live show was 6/29/99. While Hiro does some crazy bit of jumping jacks or crowd surfing, Fumi keeps up the melody with her amazing bass. She is almost a second leader after Hiro, as she helps write and compose songs and even talks just as much as him during interviews.

8. Ishimaru Kazuyuki, 2003-2004. Born November 4, 1973. After Sugai left the band in 2003, Ishimaru was the support drummer and filled in for the drums until Yano joined the band the following year. He is currently a member of a Japanese band called SNAIL RAMP, and was still a part of that band during his year with Polysics.

9. Yano Masashi, 2004-present. Born June 6, 1981. Starting on 5/30/04, Polysics did a seven day concert set where each day represented a different album, and during these lives they also wore the corresponding outfits for each time period. This event was the first time they announced their new drummer who had auditioned for the spot. Yano's tight sound on the drums really speed songs up, which has became very apparent in the newer albums.

So basically, Polysics was founded by Hiro, Sako, Kaneko and Makoto in 1997.
Then Makoto left a month after their first live.
Kaneko left at the end of 1997.
Kayo and Sugai joined early 1998, making the lineup Hiro, Sako, Kayo and Sugai.
Then Sako left mid 1999.
Fumi joined a month after Sako left, making the lineup Hiro, Kayo, Sugai and Fumi.
They stuck with this lineup until 2003 when Sugai left the band.
Ishimaru was a support drummer for a year between Sugai leaving and Yano joining the band.
Yano joined in 2004, making the lineup we knew and loved so much: Hiro, Kayo, Fumi and Yano.
Kayo left the band in 2010, leaving the lineup as a trio of Hiro, Fumi and Yano.

In the original entry on NBB.com, I had listed some of the sources for this, but mostly, the Absolute POLYSICS book was a godsend with all the concert tour dates. I got a lot of other information from various online interviews.

I don't post here much anymore but I still have a fond appreciation for Polysics. Hit me up on Twitter @west_haven if you really wanna talk to me smile

@west_haven Are you going to put more of the old content of NBB on the Tumblr? It was a great go-to resource, most of the POLY-content of the internet is in Japanese or people raving about I My Me Mine or Electric Surfing Go Go, with hardly any background information etc. It would be nice to have it available again someday.

Loving it so far though, thanks for the members info!

eye wrote:

@west_haven Are you going to put more of the old content of NBB on the Tumblr? It was a great go-to resource, most of the POLY-content of the internet is in Japanese or people raving about I My Me Mine or Electric Surfing Go Go, with hardly any background information etc. It would be nice to have it available again someday.

Loving it so far though, thanks for the members info!

Yeah, I can do that!! I'm trying to get some things up to speed too, but I'm working on it!! I love the support <3

7 (edited by ruthyruth 2012-03-20 23:16:38)

Thank you west_haven et al for the information and perspective - really helps fill in a lot of blanks...opens up some new ones though...

I mean, outside of the drummer Sugai Junichi and Kayo, there is nothing but mystery whirling around the departure / graduation of other Poly-units...

Indeed, it is only because she declared her feelings and intentions publicly do we even have a notion as to why Kayo jumped ship. Junichi's grounds are at best an "it is believed..." (somewhat less than an "it is because...") "...he did not like the direction the band was going in."  However, I venture to say there is some documentary evidence that supports the theory that he was not "tuned in" to the Poly-vibe.

Somewhere among the early videos floating around Youtube is a live performance - I believe during the Green Jacket era (forgive me if the name of the era is incorrect - maybe it was "New Wave Jacket" era - I'm not sure), there is a video where the other band members are dressed in the Green Jacket uniform and Junichi-san is back there pounding the drums in a white t-shirt.  OK, I know that it can get hot on stage - there are plenty of live performance videos where Hiyashi is sweating like a chunk of rancid pork - BUT he remains in character - still wearing the uniform - OR DIE!!! I'm just sayin', maybe Sugai couldn't handle the heat "in the kitchen", or wasn't into the uniforms.

In any case, I'm very curious about the circumstances of the fallen Polys - one, we have learned from west_haven's bio text, is performing in another band, but information on all the members does seem to be sparse no matter where you look.

By the way, (this is to west_haven - or anybody who knows the answer) an "Absolute Polysics" book was mentioned. Is this book by chance part of the "deluxe" or "special" edition of the CD/DVD Absolute Polysics package? Or is it published separately - but with the same title?

the book was published separately and if I remember correctly (at least I think this is the book she is talking about) released together with the budokan concert. It was pretty much impossible to get outside Japan unless you had a friend in japan buying it for you.
Carrie doesn't know this yet, but one of these days i'm stealing her copy tongue

NatsuBamBam | Polysics information and community

ruthyruth wrote:

By the way, (this is to west_haven - or anybody who knows the answer) an "Absolute Polysics" book was mentioned. Is this book by chance part of the "deluxe" or "special" edition of the CD/DVD Absolute Polysics package? Or is it published separately - but with the same title?

Like Davy said, the AP book is a really rare book that I got from someone in Japan, and another member of this forum, Stuart, got when he went to Japan. It is a Polysics encyclopedia that was released the day of the Budokan concert and in limited numbers. It has interviews with Hiro, Kayo, Fumi and Yano, pictures of their childhood, a list of every single live concert up to the Budokan concert and pictures GALORE. Most of it is in Japanese, but even in another language, it is extremely useful and informative.

I've posted pictures and information in this thread.

It was from this book that I found out some information about Kaneko and Makoto, well, more like I simply found they existed. There is a long section about the history of the band that I bet, if translated, would be the holy grail to our questions.

10 (edited by ruthyruth 2012-03-22 19:26:19)

That book sounds VERY interesting! So much so, that I spent the last 45 minutes scouring the Internet in hopes of finding a copy...Google, ebay, CraigList, Kijiji...no dice - did however score a brand new copy of Absolute Polysics Limited CD (with DVD) on ebay for 28 bucks BONUS: free shipping - from Hong Kong! Yay!

The book...I did find the book available at Tower Records in Tokyo ( http://tower.jp/item/2663013/Absolute-POLYSICS-BOOK ) Y2940 - but of course no international shipping...arg!!

Undaunted by the mocking throngs, I pushed back the frontiers of knowledge and found a "shopping service" that will buy the book from Tower, put it in an envelope and mail it to me! Yay! ...Well, sort of yay...when you figure in all the charges and postages and handling it turns out to be Y7000 +/- to score a copy of the book from Tower using http://www.japanshoppingservice.com

I'm holding out for a deep web search I'll engage in over the weekend - see if I can turn up some more reasonable prices for the book somehow...I've got my eye on "Ebay Japan" http://www.sekaimon.com - where they currently have about 18 Poly-items for sale (none of which sadly are the Absolute Book).

By the way, the ebay seller that I bought the Absolute Polysics Limited CD from currently has four more Polysics CD/DVD offerings (w/free shipping): http://myworld.ebay.com/sanikamina/ - they are out of Hong Kong, but their ebay rating is 100% with lots of transactions and an excellent Paypal rating (confidence is high). I saw "Polysics or Die", "We Ate the Machine" and "We Ate the Show" on offer, in case anybody's looking for something...

LATE BREAKING NEWS: Just came across another site like CDJapan - http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/   - you folks probably already know about HMV...they seem to be more expensive than CDJapan, but what I found really interesting though, was on the search results for Poly-Products at the very end of the list were concert tickets for all known Poly-Events from now through the summer including "General Sales" and "Lottery" offerings. Hey, if anybody's planning on going to Japan, you can score your tickie-poos before you leave!!! I think that's kind of awesome!

interesting find that sekaimon. I believe the japanese yahoo auctions are full of rare polysics things you can't find anywhere else. Only downside is that you need to live in Japan to buy things there sad You could always try working with a service to buy those items for you, but the prices are too crazy sad

I'm currently in need of live in Japan/6D and Polysics or Die!! and the Modern and 6D vinyls to complete my collection (not counting VHS and DVD), I wonder if I'll EVER be able to snag those vinyls, so if you see those let me know tongue
I once saw the 6D vinyl on ebay, but lost the auction, still angry at myself for losing that one.

It would cost me nearly £50 to get that book, over half of that is shipping...

Does anyone know the best place to find the Neu book? And did it come out in the US, or just Japan? west_haven's scans are great, but it's made me want my own copy so much more big_smile

The NEU Photobook, again, is a rare book that was only released in Japan in 2000 or so. I was VERY LUCKY to get my copy; a friend snagged it off eBay for over $70 as a Christmas present.

That goes to show that eBay will sometimes yield great results, but you gotta be quick on your toes. I KNOW I'm not the only other person stalking everything that shows up for Polysics. Just gotta be lucky and hope Davy's asleep!!!

14 (edited by ruthyruth 2012-03-23 12:26:31)

Indeed, an enormous THANKS and huge feeling of gratitude to west_haven for all the work creating and posting images from the book(s). I can't express how nice it was to be able to have a "peek inside" Absolute Polysics Book and the Neu book!  Thank you X 1000!!!!

west_haven wrote:

The NEU Photobook, again, is a rare book that was only released in Japan in 2000 or so. I was VERY LUCKY to get my copy; a friend snagged it off eBay for over $70 as a Christmas present.

That goes to show that eBay will sometimes yield great results, but you gotta be quick on your toes. I KNOW I'm not the only other person stalking everything that shows up for Polysics. Just gotta be lucky and hope Davy's asleep!!!

in all honesty you don't need to fear me too much xD I pretty much have the things I want except for a few items

Mistabeen wrote:

interesting find that sekaimon. I believe the japanese yahoo auctions are full of rare polysics things you can't find anywhere else. Only downside is that you need to live in Japan to buy things there sad You could always try working with a service to buy those items for you, but the prices are too crazy sad

I'm currently in need of live in Japan/6D and Polysics or Die!! and the Modern and 6D vinyls to complete my collection (not counting VHS and DVD), I wonder if I'll EVER be able to snag those vinyls, so if you see those let me know tongue
I once saw the 6D vinyl on ebay, but lost the auction, still angry at myself for losing that one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLYSICS-Mode … 662wt_1270

Posts to both NA and Europe smile

17 (edited by Mistabeen 2012-03-24 13:09:45)

my eternal debt and gratitude to you! yikes
fair warning to you all, I will hunt you down if you outbid me tongue

Mistabeen wrote:

my eternal debt and gratitude to you! yikes
fair warning to you all, I will hunt you down if you outbid me tongue

No worries!! I have my copy. One less combatant. Haha smile

No problem!

Could anyone who has the Modern EP confirm if the version of Modern is the same as on A.D.S.R.M? Thanks! smile

it looks like i'll be having some competition on this, why can't these things never go smoothly.
No matter what, I am getting this copy xD

21 (edited by ruthyruth 2012-03-26 16:02:26)

Armed with an excellent collection of information from west_haven, I've been trying to flesh out the details of the chronology...

Does anybody happen to know what years Fumi was active with 54 Nude Honeys? When she joined?

By the way, I may have found another image of Fumi in 54 Nude Honeys - at least I haven's seen it before...I posted it here:

http://www.coelakanth.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=498

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck i lost track of time and didn't get my bid in FUCK sad

ruthyruth wrote:

Does anybody happen to know what years Fumi was active with 54 Nude Honeys? When she joined?

if I had to hazard a guess, she was active in that band from about 1996 to 2000 or so. There is what looks like a 54 Nude Honeyds picture in the AP book and I think it says that Fumi was either 18 or 19 in the pic. That puts it around 96 or 97. She became a full member or Polysics when Eno came out in 2001.

24 (edited by roundhouse87 2012-03-31 03:37:39)

I just bought a 7" of 54 Nude Honeys: Hot Generation. When it comes, I will see it has any new/useful info on it. It has Fumi on cover, and says it is 1997-ish in the description.

I can't wait for the report!!!