Topic: If you like Polysics, you'll like...

What bands go well with your Polysics mix?  What else are you listening to?

Re: If you like Polysics, you'll like...

Well, not really the same in style, I would recommend Balzac and Stance Punks for a punk feeling.
In a similar pop style of Polysics, I would recommend The Faint (possibly their earlier stuff.

a friend suggested Baby Mongoose http://wondersnakes.com/babymongoose/index.html smile
i think they definitely go well with a Polysics mix!

Megababe sound interesting - only heard a few tracks but I'd like to hear more.

I don't speak Japanese though so I guess that means I die hmm

5 (edited by Dave12D3 2006-07-15 17:09:14)

Spoozys. Surf space rock done by japanese people in space suits. What Polysics fan wouldn't enjoy that? If you ever come across a copy of CE-III, get it. I couldn't find a physical copy anywhere, so I downloaded it on Soulseek. It kicks ass.

early P-Model goes without saying, but I'll say it anyways.

where can i find the album - in a model room??

If you have AIM hit me up and I can try and send it to you, AIM = Henshin Rider V3

Hikashu, fantastic band:

At the end of the 20th century
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=22OENBuaZEc

Pike
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wD7jZzjAQ-A

The second song Polysics covered

ah, i dont have AIM, you have msn??

yeah I do, my email is ymscih666@hotmail.com

Pinoruck; an unsigned (i think) Japanese band influenced by Polysics and many of their influences (YMO, Kraftwerk, devo, Hikashu etc...). i just discovered them on Youtube, quite cool, check out their music at the links below:

http://pinoruck.nomaki.jp/
http://www.myspace.com/pinoruck

Pinoruck are pretty cool, but I wish they wouldn't label all of their videos Polysics on Youtube.

Plus-Tech Squeeze Box has a little more of a pop feel to it, but still  very like Polysics.
Melt-Banana to but they're more noise rock. :]

Named "perfect POLYSICS cosplay girl" by the wonderful Hiroyuki Hayashi. <3

the new Sonic Dragolgo songs are really good if anyone likes them.

www.myspace.com/sonicdragolgouk

ANPANMAN is a great song which is on his page.

He's also done a cover of Black Out Fall Out, if anyone wants me to send it to them message me.

16 (edited by drink slurm 2007-11-02 01:12:23)

Moving out of Japan for a moment...

We Are The Physics (Scotland) is way influenced by Polysics, and makes no attempt to hide it.  Just like Poly doesn't try to hide their Devo love.  You can check out their music videos on youtube, and their singles on iTunes are very good if you are into high-energy spaz-punk.

The new Architecture in Helsinki (Australia) album, Places Like This, is very influenced by Talking Heads and Tom Tom Club.  So they are somewhere on the new wave radar.  They aren't all over it, like Polysics, but I've found they switch in and out of melodies like Poly does, and sometimes the singer really lets his voice go out of control the way David Byrne / Hayashi does.
Seriously, I love the new album a lot.  I highly recommend it.

In America, we don't have any real new wave bands, only pop-punk bands that sometimes have a moog.  You hear one, you've heard them all.  VCR stands out, though, if only for being very brash.  They're not much like Poly, but if you are into synths and punk rock, you should give them a shot.  Three synths, one bass, one drumset, no guitar!  Way more on the anthem / punk rock side of things though.  Not pop at all.

Metric (Canda) gets labeled new wave.  I don't really see it.  I guess just because they have a female singer, people think Blondie, and because they aren't punk, and have a synth, it must be new wave.  No matter what you label them, it's good music.  I played their last one, Live it Out, quite a lot last year.

Back in Japan, hmm.. Plus Tech was already said.  I guess EeL.  She's pretty all over the place.  Sometimes sounds like Poly, sometimes not, but always original.  Unlike most Japanese electronic artists, she tries to be off the wall way more often than cute.

We are the Physics are amazing. plus their first single - 'less than three' reeeaally sounds like polysics. my brother thought i t was them when i played it.

I have been checking out some of these links, and they all have great music! I suck at finding new good music. Thanks for all the post!

19 (edited by drink slurm 2007-11-12 04:24:14)

I can't believe I forgot an incredible American experimental band... The Fiery Furnaces.  Bitter Tea is an AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING album.  Blueberry Boat and Widow City are very good too.  Their music sounds like a time machine.  You must listen to Bitter Tea.  They aren't as energetic as Polysics, by a longshot.  They don't try to be.  But they are just as, if not more, innovative in their songwriting approach.  They tell all these crazy stories, use all kinds of nonsensical antiquated slang, have backwards lyrics, synths going in every direction...  If you love mind exploding music, check it out.

20 (edited by kagitsune 2007-11-11 05:36:12)

BIS (now disbanded) is not new wave at all...just very candied, sugary punk about kindergarteners and ninjas and pop stars. They're most famous for the *ahem... -_-;;* ending theme to the Powerpuff Girls...

Yeah, I don't really know what I'm talking about... <---music n00b

If you want to see my art and costumes, please come to my DeviantArt Page!

http://kagitsune.deviantart.com

I finally got time to listen to The Plastics 'Welcome Back' Album Today big_smile
Wow!
It has quite frankly been on repeat ever since
You can really tell POLYSICS were influenced by them
Especially in KAYOs singing style
And the Original version of 'GOOD' is AMAZING:D!!!

22 (edited by Nimrod 2007-12-05 20:03:56)

If you want bands that go with Polysics check these out;

Pony Pony Run Run
www.myspace.com/ponyponyrunrun

Nice fast paced band

Say Hi to Your Mom
www.myspace.com/sayhitoyourmom

For your slower moments big_smile

Forty Two

It's not really POLYSICS style, it's way more surgary, but YMCK is a good band, they're chiptune 8-bit music thats amazingly poppy and sugary.

Named "perfect POLYSICS cosplay girl" by the wonderful Hiroyuki Hayashi. <3

For Young Electric Pop wrote:

It's not really POLYSICS style, it's way more surgary, but YMCK is a good band, they're chiptune 8-bit music thats amazingly poppy and sugary.

Damn right!
YMCK! RETS GO, RETS GO! big_smile
What a song!

YMCK has a new album out next month.  It's called "Family Genesis"

video