1 (edited by Dave12D3 2010-06-10 22:25:08)

Topic: DEVO - Something for Everybody

Streaming now!

copy-pasted short review from another forum:

Dave12D3 wrote:

DEVO - Something for Everybody

4/5

A little overproduced, I'm not sure if there's a meaning to the lyrics of Cameo and I really wish they left "LISTEN UP Y'ALL, IT'S DEVO" out of the intro of Step Up. Everything else about the album is pretty much perfect, though. Listen to it. It's streaming on the front page of Colbert Nation.

It's definitely the best since Oh No. Possibly before.

Re: DEVO - Something for Everybody

Dave12D3 wrote:

It's definitely the best since Oh No. Possibly before.

You Said it!
Incredible result! I was so worried the album would turn out embarrassing. I shouldn't have worried. With a few skippable exceptions, it's strong throughout! March On is apparently one of my favorites!

Not a huge fan of the drum sound, but the songs are so well written it just doesn't matter

We listened to the stream at work today and I gotta say I'm digging it!

A few of my co-workers are pretty big DEVO fans too, (one even saw them back in 1979 when he was a kid!) and we're all enjoying the heck out it. It's very exciting to see them return in such fine form!

I hate reunions of old bands.  I am always disappointed by them.  Also, I dislike everything after New Traditionalists.

Then I saw all the stuff on their youtube page.  Oh my god, this is the most original thing they've ever done.  If you were on the fence before, look into all the focus test stuff.  It explains the new album perfectly.  The ads, the blue energy domes, the marketing company.  It all adds up to Devo's strangest societal prank ever.  I'm actually more excited for the reality show thing on clubdevo.com, than I am for the album.

I've heard most of the songs.  Glad to hear real instruments return to the mix.  I'll probably get the deluxe version tomorrow and make my own Song Study mix of it.  The songs themselves don't stand on their own as amazing, but the whole internal logic of the album is something I've fallen in love with.

Just bought the album! It's great!

The first half of the album is immense. Totally killer.

Second half is not so great. Although it is starting to grow on me.

So fresh.

I saw DEVO last Friday and it was fantastic! A really really fun time. I can't recommend seeing them enough!

One thing that you may find after the concert is that the new songs really start register with you more strongly than listening to the album. Seeing the live show with the huge multimedia screen behind them really puts the songs in a fascinating context.

I spent all weekend thinking about the concepts in the new songs, and as I drove into work, the madness of everyday life just hit me even harder. I have a review with pics and videos on my blog.

Anyway, great show! Go see them!