Topic: Going to my first concert next month.

I'm going to my first Polysics concert next month on the 12th and am psyched as all get-out.  I was just wondering if there's anything I should know before I go.  What should I expect?  : D

Re: Going to my first concert next month.

Expect one of the best shows ever.

Expect it to be HOT inside the venue.

Expect it to be even better then one of the best shows ever.

Bring a camera and snap as many pictures as possible. Thats the one thing I had a problem with when I saw them for the first (and only) time in 2005 when they were on Tofu (the manager was a major dick and would patrol the crowd and take away peoples camera due to Sony's No Photo rule).

I didn't run into problems taking pictures of then when they came to NC last year. That particular venue said no Video Cameras, though, but that doesn't count the video cam that's on your picture camera 8) I only wish my camera's batteries didn't die.....

But yeah, expect an amazing show! Bring lots of money too so you can hit up their merch booth. They bring tshirts, CDs, Vinals, stickers, pins, and most of all THEMSELVES.

http://i40.tinypic.com/x3dbtg.jpg

I don't post here much anymore but I still have a fond appreciation for Polysics. Hit me up on Twitter @west_haven if you really wanna talk to me smile

Hey, good question, Katzinaru, I was wondering about this as well!

I've seen plenty of live footage, so I know they'll be amazing!

west_haven, that sounds awesome! I was wondering if they were the sort of band that will hang out after the show. So many bands don't talk to the fans much.

Speaking of friendly bands, I saw Shonen Knife back in November, and they were so cool that they hung out for over an hour after the show, talking to people and signing autographs.  It was a really a unusual and nice surprise.

So yeah, I'm bringing a wad of dough to the merch table for sure! If I get to at least tell them how much I enjoy their music, and and how much we'll all miss Kayo, that'll be enough for me. smile

Yeah, they hang out after the show, but don't expect 'em too fast. They need a bit of rest after doing such an energetic show, so when I went to my first concert, I missed them afterwords cuz my friends needed to go home. I did get to catch 'em before the show (minus Fumi, though, boo hoo) so all was well~

Oh, and not sure if they'd do it again but they were selling small posters (not sure how much) but if you bought a CD, you got the poster for free. The poster was very signable too, and it looks very snazzy on my wall now!

I don't post here much anymore but I still have a fond appreciation for Polysics. Hit me up on Twitter @west_haven if you really wanna talk to me smile

Thanks for all the information!  Didn't respond in forever because distractions tongue

The tour manager with the band said in SF that cameras were maybe OK but any flashes would get you thrown out.

The Akron club is just as small as the SF club so you'll have a great time no doubt. I arrived about an hour before "doors open" to get a good place in line. Don't stress about being the absolute first as the first dozen or so people in will get awesome places in front of the stage.

If you can you might do like me and stand right between Fumi and Hayashi. The only problem with this idea was that Hayashi was blocking my view of Kayo!

I've never been at the front of the queue but I've always been at the front next to the stage. It's always possible to get to the front big_smile

Have they got the long haired American guy as tour manager again? He had pigtails last time I think, my friend got annoyed at him for various reasons.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2295/photosn987opyxc7.jpg

Regarding cameras, I think it mostly depends on the venue. At The Roxy in West Hollywood, where the Los Angeles show took place, they allowed regular point-and-shoot cameras (with the flash turned off), but they did not allow "professional" cameras (SLRs, or cameras with interchangeable lenses) unless you were on a pre-approved list. I learned this the hard way; I had to go back to my car to put away my SLR. (Security at the venue asked me to put it away, not anyone from the band.) So just in case you do happen to have a SLR, bring a point-and-shoot camera for backup.

Okay, here's a noobish sort of question: It's known to anyone who's seen live footage  that Hiro gets the crowd to cheer "Toisu!" and turns it into a chant, but the honest truth is that I can't quite follow the pronunciation, even after hearing it a million times.....

It sounds like "TOYS!" to me, is that correct? I would certainly hate to get my moon language wrong at the show!

Turns out it's a made-up word. Since you'll be standing 3' from him, just listen closely big_smile and you'll get it.

12 (edited by tachikaze 2010-02-01 11:58:58)

marktobias wrote:

Have they got the long haired American guy as tour manager again? He had pigtails

The one and the same. Didn't seem like a bad guy, but he did flub the opening for the band in SF (couldn't get the iPod standing on Kayo's vocoder synth to play the intro for some reason).

Oh, btw, I saw their tour van in front of the venue. About as low-budget as you can get, but the band doesn't have much stuff I guess. Wonder if Sony is flying the band or if all 6 (7?) in their touring group are drivin' it. Edit: reading their blog, Hayashi uses the term "ido" -- move/transfer -- which sounds more like driving than flying.

Supreme Nothing wrote:

Okay, here's a noobish sort of question: It's known to anyone who's seen live footage  that Hiro gets the crowd to cheer "Toisu!" and turns it into a chant, but the honest truth is that I can't quite follow the pronunciation, even after hearing it a million times.....

It sounds like "TOYS!" to me, is that correct? I would certainly hate to get my moon language wrong at the show!

Toisu is just a made op word, the pronunciating is like Toys, but there's just a small difference imo.
But in the end it really doesn't matter seeing as it's a made up word. The last thing hiro would care about is that xD
It's the energy that matters.

NatsuBamBam | Polysics information and community

It's basically "toys" with a softer 's' sound.

Well I would say it's "toys" but with the end pronounced like "voice".

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2295/photosn987opyxc7.jpg

16 (edited by west_haven 2010-02-01 22:11:48)

I say it TOIS with the U silent. It's a three syllable word (トイス) so each syllable is pronounced separately, like to-i-su, with the I pronounced as a E.

Say it loudly, though, and with a vigorous arm movement!!! It doesn't work unless you almost hit people next to you!! o/ toisu toisu tooooisu!!!!

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!

Probably the best/most fun concert I've been to. 

My ears are still ringing a little and my voice is a bit coarse.

My only regrets are not grabbing the set list (it was like a foot away from me) and not getting autographs (sister and mom were exhausted).

Glad you had a lot of fun!!! Sorry about not gettin' autographs, that's a bummer. I missed Fumi last tour for the same reason (my ride wanted to get on home cuz it was late OTL)