Topic: Board Registrations, Spam, etc.

Spam registrations are still happening. Some are easy to spot by the user name, email address or IP used to register. Others are more difficult to call, but I will err on the side of caution and delete & ban profiles which either do not complete the registration process or register and then do not post.

If you are having problems completing registration or the activation email is going astray feel free to contact the mods, at android at coelakanth dot com. And if you do register, please post to say hi, even if it's just once. That way I know you're not a robot. Thanks!

Re: Board Registrations, Spam, etc.

Normally we get one or two spammy registrations per day. Today we had about 40, all from GMail accounts. So, sorry to say I am banning new registrations from GMail addresses.

This should not affect existing boardmembers. If it does please do holler at us - android at coelakanth dot com.

Not sure if this is the best idea
Gmail is a very popular email service, by banning it you are keeping possible new members away
Why don't you integrate recaptcha or something alike and see how that goes

NatsuBamBam | Polysics information and community

TheMongKey wrote:

This should not affect existing boardmembers.

*Phew*
Damn spammers, coming on here trying to sell stuff or spread viruses. well at least it's not Paedophiles lol

It's baby baby baby baby portable rock!

I agree we really do need to sort out Recaptcha. I'll poke KateMonkey with a sharp stick and see what happens.

The specific problem with gmail is that it ignores punctuation in email addresses, so spammeraddress at gmail is the same as s.p.a.m.meraddress at gmail and so on.

This means that a spammer can sign up multiple times with what is effectively the same email - so they set up 20 board accounts and only have to log into one email account to click 20 activation links. This is easy for them and a massive pain in my ass.

As for putting off new users, you may have noticed we're not exactly fighting them off with sticks... we've had about 12  so far this year, maybe 3 of which have been gmail. Against the 50 fake ones in two days, *all* of which were gmail.

So no, it's not the best idea. But for now it's the only idea, short of turning off registrations altogether.

(EDIT: I just checked and my figures were slightly out - in fact we've had 7 genuine new users in 2011. 2 Were from gmail accounts).

recaptcha is really easy to implement, so shouldn't take too much work smile
We had the same problem at natsubambam, receiving a massive wave of spam accounts in the timespan of a few days.
I added a captcha and had no spam accounts ever since

NatsuBamBam | Polysics information and community

Okay, so, I upgraded the board and enabled the CAPTCHA extension.

We'll see if it works.

OK, the gmail ban is lifted. Tell your gmail friends!

And the gmail spammers are back... sigh.

We've been also getting hotmail spammers, so I've just installed an extension that says it requires authorisations of posts and registrations.

So we'll see how that works out. It might fail a bit.

It's not emailing when a new post needs approving... *poke*

Boo. I'm disabling that and waiting to see if I can find something else that works.

NYANYANYANYANYANYANYANYANYANYANYANYANYAN.

So we've upgraded and installed a bit of code that asks questions when people register.

Polysics questions, of course.

We're hoping that sorts out some of the spam registrations. We'll see what happens.

KateMonkey wrote:

So we've upgraded and installed a bit of code that asks questions when people register.

Polysics questions, of course.

What a bloody brilliant idea

It's baby baby baby baby portable rock!

A reminder, should anyone care, that people/robots who register and do not post will have their profiles deleted. This is for two reasons - firstly because most times when that happens it's a spammer, and secondly because I have mild OCD. So please, if you register, post at least once. Thanks!