1 (edited by drink slurm 2010-03-13 16:25:17)

Topic: The great Polysics new-wave reference collection.

One of my favorite things about our favorite band, is that they wear their influences on their sleeve.  They don't just name drop, they full out pay tribute.  Most people would see the things Polysics do and scream "plagiarism", and there is room for argument there, but as a fan I see it as worship. 

Either, way, it's interesting to note all the samples/borrowed riffs/perfomance antics that have gone through the Poly ringer.  So here they are.  Most will be quite obvious, but maybe a few will surprise you...
------

(1999)
Well lets get the most obvious three things out of the way. 
Boiler suits and sunglasses = Devo
P badges = P-Model
Polysics = KORG Polysix synth

---
1st P

"Which!" - The guitar solo is lifted directly from Devo's "Secret Agent Man" cover.

"Good" - Plastics cover.  May be interesting to some, as most people think Pizzicato Five's version is the original.

---
ADSRM!

The album cover and outfits are quite similar to Devo's "Duty Now For The Future" era.

"ASDRM" = Anyone who has fooled around with a synth knows about Attack, Sustain, Decay, Release.  In this case, the M most likely stands for "Music", but that's just a guess

"Eleki Gassen"  - The main melody is a sped up "Secret Agent Man" (thanks polysix)

Eleki was a small "surf rock"  music fad in Japan.  I'm not keen on translating everything (i think it ruins a lot of fun as a Western listener), but I felt this was worth mentioning since early Devo and bands like Man or Astro-Man? have clever surf-rock implements in a lot of their songs.  It's new wave noteworthy.

"Pike" - Hikashu cover.  Most people know this

---
Live in Japan

"Social Fools" & "Secret Agent Man" - Cover and cover of a cover tongue  interesting to note that in "Secret Agent Man" the guitar solo is changed.  Possibly because they played Which! earlier, and didn't want to sound redundant.

In the video version of this release, there are little video clips in between songs where a big headed version of Devo's "Booji Boy" wanders around the streets. (thx SCV/Sancho)

----------
(2000)

It's fitting that the band's best album has accompanying outfits that reflect Devo's best era!  (hey I'm writing this article, I get to state the factual opinions tongue)

---
NEU
The album's title probably isn't a reference to the Krautrock band, NEU!  But who knows...  The Japanese version of the album cover, although, definitely is a reference to the Devo "Whip it" video.

A cover of Devo's "Jerkin' Back 'n' Forth" can be found on the XCT single.

The title itself XCT, is likely a deliberate mispronunciation of the wonderfully awesome new wave band, XTC.

Both the "XCT" and "Each Life Each End" music videos feature an introduction by a man who looks and speaks rhetoric quite similar to the Devo video character "General Boy"

The intro to the single version of "Each Life Each End" contains a sample of Sigue Sigue Sputnik's "Love Missile F1-11"

The song itself, "Each Life Each End" is a mash-up of Devo riffs and lyrics.  The main "Girl U Want" guitar riff is rather prominent.  Kayo sings the pre-chorus to "Red Eye Express" in a rather warped way. I've heard people say the "rise up, baby..." part of the song is lifted from or referencing "The Day My Baby Gave Me A Surprise".  I can't piece it together myself, so I'm ruling that as unconfirmed.

This sorta cover - sorta not kind of songwriting is where the "worship or plagiarism?" debate usually comes in... and continues with...

'S.V.O.' from Neu is a half cover of XTC's 'Cross Wires' from White Music (thanks polysix)

"Plaster Caster" - featuring a melody very similar to the Devo b-side "Uglatto"

It's up in the air if the song title "Making Sense" is a Talking Heads reference.

The intro to Urge On! plays a sample of "Overdrive" by Electric Music.

and to close out all the Devo love in 2000, A live performance of Gates of Steel that Hiro allegedly is so proud of tongue (thanks nobody)

-----
(2001)
Freedom of Choice era Devo jackets. 
and Kayo rocks Doctor Detroit hairdoo. (thx SCV)

Eno
Possibly a Brian Eno reference?  It would be quite fitting as this was the band's most well produced album so far.

"New Wave Jacket" - lol new wave

"Commodoll" - Very similar melody and structure to "The Model" by Kraftwerk

-----
(2002)

Not Devo outfits for once.  To me, these look much more like what Susumu Hirasawa wears in the P-Model music video for "Another Day"

Lo-Bits
The cover features a voltron-esque robot wearing an Energy Dome.

"Domo Arigato..." - An in spirit cover of the Styxx song, but sounds quite different.

"My Way" - This Sinatra cover is the only bad cover I have ever heard Polysics do
---
For Young Electric Pop

The chorus of "Colon" is a parody of "Pop Muzic" by M

"Weekenders" begins with a programmed beat taken from "The Man Machine" by Kraftwerk.

"My Sharona" - The Knack

----------
(2003)
back to the boiler suits and Ps!

KAJA KAJA GOO
The title is a mispronunciation of the 80's synthpop band "KajaGooGoo"

National P
The booklet has a pic of the band eating an Energy Dome cake (allegedly, I wish I owned this album proper and true)

"Lookin Lookin Gaa"'s intro comes from a yet unidentified Ramones song.

The album version of of "Kaja Kaja Goo" is subtitled (Too Shy) because it features an appearance by Nick Beggs of KajaGooGoo, who wrote the song "Too Shy" (thanks nobody)

----------
(2004)

POLYSICS OR DIE!!!! - is taken from the 1999 album title P-MODEL OR DIE

The full band version of "Black Out Fall Out" has a similar drum rhythm to "Gates of Steel" by Devo. (thanks polysix)

Kayo's solo album, 三つ編みHeroine, features two cover songs originally written by YMO member, Haruomi Hosono ("夏なんです" and "さらばシベリア鉄道"), who also had a hand in producing the album. (thanks nobody, very interesting!)

------
(2005)

Now is The Time!
Produced by legendary Gang of Four guitarist, Andy Gil, the style of the songs themselves is very inspired by the UK post-punk new-wave movement.  The jangly guitar and dance-punk rhythms...

The title, Now is The Time can by heard in the Devo song "Dr. Detroit" (thanks polysix)

"Coelakanth is Android" - starts off with a sample lifted from YMO's "Epilogue"

The b-side "Metal Coconuts" contains a sample also heard at the end of "Living Through Another Cuba" by XTC.

"Wild One" is a Suzi Quatro cover. (thanks marktobias)

A cover of "Psycho Therapy" by The Ramones can be found on the "Coelakanth..." single.

"Rack Rack" has guitar riffs very similar to "Natural's Not in it" by Gang of Four.

-----
(2006)

Now is The Live!
During a performance of "The Next World", Hiro dances like Mark in Devo's "Jocko Homo" music video.

-----
(2007)

Karate House
A very P-Model - In A Model Room inspired album.  "偉大なる頭脳" is a cover. 

The intro to "Watson" uses the similar synth drum sample that opens P-Model's Virtual Live 1 album.

They also rewrote "Roomrunner" into "Guitar Pick殺人事件", found on the Catch on Everywhere Single.

During this era, you can also find, on the internet, a live cover of "美術館で会った人だろ"
There is also this live performance of AT-ATSpot the similarity.

Amiss all the P-Model love, I forgot to mention that the closing track "POLYSICS OR DIE" is the band's very own take on "Jocko Homo" (thanks marktobias)

-----
(2008)

We Ate The Machine

"Moog is Love"

You can read all about Blue Noise here.  I'm not audio savvy enough to understand it.

"Dry or Wet"  gets the same treatment "Roomrunner" and "Jocko Homo" did last year.  In this case, the retooled song is "Neon Shuffle" by XTC.

Also, the title itself, "Dry or Wet" is a common synthesizer sound modulation term.

WATM live DVD
Hayashi performs "Commodoll" as David Byrne had performed "Psycho Killer" in the Talking Heads live doc - Stop Making Sense.
----

Absolute Polysics

"Time Out" = "Timing X" by Devo

The closer, "Wasabi", plays a repeated melody heard in "Strange Pursuit" by Devo, only backwards.

phew, that's all I've got!  If anyone has any more, speak up and I'll add it to the OP big_smile

Re: The great Polysics new-wave reference collection.

very good post dude! I'm glad you linked to some things cos I hadn't heard of a lot of the references big_smile
I never even noticed Karaftwerk's The Model similarity but I guess you're right there.

A couple of things off the top of my head that you didn't post...

On Karate House, the song Polysics Or Die - to use your term, is a "retooled" version of Devo - Jocko Homo

and the Wild One cover on Now Is The Time which I think was originally done by Suzi Quatro.

I'm expecting one or two people to reply to this thread with a massive list of obscure references, lol.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2295/photosn987opyxc7.jpg

3 (edited by drink slurm 2009-01-13 03:00:52)

Gah can't believe I skipped that first one.  Thanks.. tongue  I'll add to it and credit tomorrow.

2000 They cover Gates of Steel live: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=SjypAdX1Xfk

Kayo's Solo album: Co produced by Haruomi Hosono of YMO, features two songs writen by him, one of which is a Happy End song.

Also the intro to the My Sharona cover reminds me of YMOs Rydeen. Incidently if we want to mention remixes done by Hiro he did one of Jiseiki-hirake kokolo on a remix album.

They've also appeared on a lot tribute albums covering tracks such as Spitz; Cherry, Soft Cell; Memorabilia and a Metallica song (I forget which one)

Wow! Great list and lots I didn't know! Thanks!

I haven't really got many interesting ones, but I'll have a go anyways...

'S.V.O.' from Neu is a half cover of XTC's 'Cross Wires' from White Music

Possibly 'LED' from National P is influenced from Number Girl's 'September Girlfriend'...er possibly..

There are also some tiny Devo references I've noticed, like the drums in 'Eleki Gassen' is taken from 'Secret Agent Man', also when they play 'Black Out Fall Out', Yano plays the drum intro to 'Gates of Steel', possibly 'Jhout' from Devo's 'Shout, and I think the title 'Now Is The Time' comes from the lyrics to 'Dr. Detroit'. My Dad is a massive Devo fan and consequently massive Polysics fans so he's always able to point out such things!

Also I remembered reading something Hiro wrote saying that the intro for 'Lookin' Lookin' Gaa' is a sample from a Ramones song, but have no idea which one. I was actually able to dig up the article from the Polysics Livejournal, and its also a really good read (sorry if its already been posted!) : http://community.livejournal.com/polysi … tml#cutid1

Thanks Polysix!  That SVO observation is great.  I never noticed that.  Also, reading that journal entry for the first time, I totally forgot about the Sigue Sigue Sputnik and Electric Music bits used in NEU!, as well as plenty of other interesting stuff. 

Ah, so much to add still, can't do it tonight...

Those liner notes are quality! There are some notes about each song on Karate House on a Japanese website. I might see if I can get them translated, I'm hoping they're as interesting as those ones big_smile

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2295/photosn987opyxc7.jpg

Another nore about KKG, The National P version which is subtitled (With Too Shy) (which itself refers to the Kaja Goo Goo hit single) is a different mix from the ep which features Nick Beggs of Kaja Goo Goo.

http://www.coelakanth.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=79

This old topic has a few more Elektric Music references.

I remembered another pretty big one!

'New Wave Jacket' is more or less a cover of Rezillos' 'Flying Saucer Attack', which can be heard here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrIjiH0Q … re=related

It's pretty bad quality, but you can still hear all the similarities.

Also the remix of Aikawa Nanase's 'Yumemiru Shoujo Ja Irarenai' wasn't mentioned before, but you all might also be interested to know that Hiro sampled/copied the melody from Imokin Trio's 'Highschool Lullaby' ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhUeNL4aJQU ) for the remix, which was written by Harry Hosono of YMO fame, and is a pretty amazing song! big_smile

Another couple we missed:

The "Plus Chicker" video performance scenes are VERY reminiscent of DEVO's "Satisfaction" video.

On the ENO era "Boy Scout" uniforms, there was a tag with a green traffic cone and the words "ELECTRIC MUSIC," this being a reference to the cover of Kraftwerk's second album.

The cover of "Mr. Roboto" also borrows lyrics from Kraftwerk's "The Robots"/"Die roboter".

The opening of DNA Junction is very similar to the opening of DEVO's "Snowball"

Oh, and let us not forget POLYSICS showing up to their NYC Halloween show in full DEVO garb performing Uncontrollable Urge.

12 (edited by west_haven 2009-03-07 01:44:47)

DarKrow wrote:

Oh, and let us not forget POLYSICS showing up to their NYC Halloween show in full DEVO garb performing Uncontrollable Urge.

Oh man oh man, I wish I could have seen that live. I saw them a few days before that though. (It still totally rocked my world, haha!!)

http://i40.tinypic.com/x3dbtg.jpg

I don't post here much anymore but I still have a fond appreciation for Polysics. Hit me up on Twitter @west_haven if you really wanna talk to me smile

Oooh! Missed another one! The lyrics for "2 faces" as printed in the "each life each end" CD insert: "it's the day my baby gave me a surprise"

14 (edited by Polysix 2009-03-08 01:47:12)

Some more too!...

The riff from 'Coelakanth is Android' borrows a lot from Devo's 'Pink Pussycat' from 'Duty now...'
Also 'AT AT'  borrows a lot from 'Red Eye Express' from the same album.

Also I noticed that 'Be Still' is probably a reference to Devo's 'Be Stiff', and 'Shizuka is a Machine Doctor' is probably a reference to the Ramones' 'Sheena is a punk rocker'

Polysix wrote:

'Sheena is a Machine Doctor'

shizuka

Dave12D3 wrote:

shizuka

Err..thanks! I actually got both titles wrong yikes

Not sure I really want to play this game, but the start of Weekenders sounds awfully like the start of Man-Machine by Kraftwerk.

18 (edited by SCVStuart 2009-03-12 23:33:24)

A lot of these are posted around in other topics somewhere

Heres a big one: P-models 1982 album 'Perspective' has a song called Coelacanth (Occasionally written 'Coelacance')

The beginning of 'Rydeen' by YMO is pretty similar to the Poly version of My Sharona. May even be a sample.

Tax in has a sample of 'Electric Cafe' by Kraftwerk in the chorus.

Various Polysics songs (e.g. Jocko ho- I mean POLYSICS OR DIE, Miss Donuts, Wake up Polysics) use a speak and spell to spell out different words, including P-O-L-Y-S-I-C-S. Plastics used A speak and spell on their first EP to spell various things, including P-L-A-S-T-I-C-S. The lesser known synth punk band 'Super Cute Voices' spelled out their own name (S-U-P-E-R-C-U-T-E-V-O-I-C-E-S) using a speak and spell on the song 'Ganguro'.:D
Kraftwerk Also used a speak and spell, but instead of spelling things, they used the little on/off melodies from the toy on 'Home Computer'. Hiro used the same samples in his version of 'Yumemiru Shoujo Ja Irarenai', in the chorus.

When Polysics play 'The Next World' Live, Hiro 'Dances the Poot' (I think this was allready mentioned), and does a pointy pointy synth thing reminiscent of Mark Mothersbaughs Stage moves for Jocko Homo.

When Polysics first got their Orange suits, the sleeves were held on by Velcro. at some point in the middle of the set, they would all rip the sleeves off together. I like to think this is like what Devo do with their whole suits in Jocko Homo.

I reckon the 'M' in ADSRM stands for 'Modulation', but thats just cos I'm a synth head.

Tax in uses a preset drum pattern from the Roland CR-78 drum machine. It's a very famous pattern, used in Art Mania by P-model, Heart of Glass by Blondie. Probably thousands of other tracks from the same era. The CR-78 was what Plastics used as a drummer, but I've not heard this pattern straight in any of their songs. (Anybody got a cr-78 they wanna sell me BTW, I seriously can not find one anywhere big_smile)

I'm scraping the barrel a bit now. I'm sure I know more, but My Poly collection is all the way upstairs right now, so I cant listen to any tracks to remind myself. big_smile

Whilst looking for some old speech synthesis programs today, I stumbled upon the source for 2 poly samples:

http://www.colmer.info/c64/sotwhistory.asp

the sample 'say it sam' contains the C64 voice samples from wake up polysics and one other track (sorry, I can't remember the name atm. listen to the sample, you'll hear it)

I Love the sound of old speech synthesis, I've got the old commodore program used to make the sam voice, I should involve it somewhere in an scv track...

SCVStuart wrote:

Whilst looking for some old speech synthesis programs today, I stumbled upon the source for 2 poly samples:

http://www.colmer.info/c64/sotwhistory.asp

the sample 'say it sam' contains the C64 voice samples from wake up polysics and one other track (sorry, I can't remember the name atm. listen to the sample, you'll hear it)

I Love the sound of old speech synthesis, I've got the old commodore program used to make the sam voice, I should involve it somewhere in an scv track...

I believe that other song is Meso. Yeah, it's totally ringing a bell now.

Wow, those sound clips are crazy awesome though. I always wondered what that voice was saying in Wake Up Polysics, and now I know! Pretty neat!

http://i40.tinypic.com/x3dbtg.jpg

I don't post here much anymore but I still have a fond appreciation for Polysics. Hit me up on Twitter @west_haven if you really wanna talk to me smile

POLYSICS also once wore a mock version of DEVO's energy dome hat.
PunBB bbcode test

They also wore the Smart Patrol clothes once during the NEU era.
PunBB bbcode test

1-2-3-4-5-6-89!
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll381/hagaren987/national_p02.gif

In the Cover of My Sharona they took the intro from the YMO Song Rydeen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk6o4GWFIV8

Just read on a Japanese DEVO fan site that POLYSICS used to cover 'Time Out For Fun' back in 1999!

That would have been awesome!

Does anyone have the video of Polysics covering Art Mania by P-MODEL? I haven't been able to find it ever since it was taken down by Youtube.

There used to be a video of them covering a Moonriders song on Nico too.
It was a great song, but I can't remember the name of it