Topic: Polysics in Devo Drag at the Mercury Lounge in NYC for Halloween

Daaaaaaaaaamn, I wish I'd been there. It looks like a Polysics/Devo fan's wet dream.

Re: Polysics in Devo Drag at the Mercury Lounge in NYC for Halloween

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OVccBBhnL7U

Absolutely Incredible!!!

If only they we're in the UK for Halloween <3

why was my original post for this deleted?  sad

Hi, it wasn't deleted. As mentioned in the Admin thread entitled Board wackiness our hosts have moved us to a new server.

Unfortunately, the DNS wasn't set up properly and so browsers looking for www.coelakanth.com would randomly be pointed at the old server (and still might do for another day or two), making it hit or miss where new posts would end up. Your post still exists over there, but unfortunately nobody can see it and there's no way of merging it into the current server (that I know of).

If it makes you feel any better one of my posts is over there in No Man's Land too.

EDIT: With some technical jiggery-poker, Here's most of that thread.

drink slurm wrote:

The band may have done something special here for Halloween (correct me if they've done this at other shows).  They took the stage as DEVO!!  (yellow jumpsuit era / energy domes)  And then they played Uncontrollable Urge!!  They even did that bit Devo does live at the end of the song where they converge into the middle and sing (Kayo was holding the mic and passing it to Hayashi and Fumi).

Anyway, that was the real highlight.  Tepid set list.  Not for longtime Poly fans, it was strictly POD:vista and WATM songs for American newbies.  No b-sides.  Understandable for a band that's had nine LPs, but I'd like to hear at least one rare track next time.  They played a bit of ???????? during the sound check.  I was like the only person there with a big smile on my face for that.

set list (a lil bit out of order)

Uncontrollable Urge
Buggie Technica
Pretty Good
Peach Pie on The Beach
Tei! Tei! Tei!
I My Me MIne
My Sharona
DNA Junction (fuck yes!)
??????????
????????
Moog is Love
Rocket
Coelakanth
Baby BIAS
-----
New Wave Jacket
Electric Surfin'

So yeah, mehhhhh set list.  I'm sure the newbie fans were stoked though.  I was right  up in between Hayashi and Fumi all night and it's a blast to rock out with them no matter how many times you've heard the song before and you already know all the bits (Peach Pie pom-poms, Baby BIAS jumping jacks), it's impossible not to get charged up by Hayashi's antics.

I'm not a picture taker.  But lots of other people brought cameras.  Make sure to scour youtube/flickr this week.  For a 21+ show there sur were a lot of annoying teenage tendencies in the crowd.  People making out and taking myspace photos of themselves.  Like seriously, are you 16?

Anyway, best Halloween ever simply for witnessing that Devo bit.  Also I met Bruce Campbell before the show and saw his new movie!  Nerdiest Halloween ever as well smile

SCVStuart wrote:

The set doesn't look great, but ... dressed as DEVO??

Uncontrollable Urge?!?!

AMAZING!!!!

TheMongKey wrote:

That sounds like an awesome show, if only for the Devo drag. What are we doing wrong in the UK? Together we must come up with an evil master plan to brainwash the population and create legions of Polyfans so we can get 20-date UK tours over here. Except it would probably go horribly wrong and they'd all mutate into robot zombies.

drink slurm wrote:

here is the Devo performance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVccBBhnL7U

Nuh-uh, not havin it! It's a conspiracy!  *tinfoil hat*

Thanks for digging.   Sorry if I came off rude back there.

No, it's totally fine. I should have explained things better before.