1 (edited by Pupponvesh 2017-03-07 14:39:02)

Topic: Polysics Chart Positions

As many of you know, getting hold of any type of information surrounding Polysics is quite diffcult. This is probably down to the fact that Polysics aren't as popular as I first thought. It's understandable that getting hold of any English information on the band would be hard, simply because they're practically unknown outside the fanbase, but I assumed coming from Japan there'd be quite a following out there.

Surprisingly, they're not that much more popular over there than they are here. Whenever I ask any of my Japanese friends about them they say they've never heard of them, or if they have they say they're too weird to be popular. And I'm always hearing stories of people having difficulty tracking down their CD's whilst in Japan.

Lately though, things seemed to have changed somewhat. Thanks to the success of the I My Me Mine video their last 2 releases (Now is the Time and Electric Surfin' Go Go) have been 2 of their best selling discs.

Here's a list of chart positions taken from Oricon. I'm not sure how relevant their charts are, or what they're based on (I assume sales), but whenever I read up on Japanese groups they occasionally reference Oricon, so I'm guessing Oricon is the equivalent of the UK's Official Charts.

Singles
Urge On/XCT                             19 Apr 2000    #58    1 week
Each Life Each End                      21 Jun 2000    #88    2 weeks
New Wave Jacket                         25 Apr 2001    #86    2 weeks
Baby Bias                               27 Apr 2005    #109   2 weeks
Coelakanth is Android                   17 Aug 2005    #96    2 weeks
Electric Surfin' Go Go                  21 Jun 2006    #46    2 weeks
You-You-You                             25 Oct 2006    #45    3 weeks
Catch On Everywhere                     31 Jan 2007    #45    2 weeks
Rocket                                  21 Nov 2007    #52    3 weeks
Pretty Good                             19 Mar 2008    #65    2 weeks
Shout Aloud!/Beat Flash                 11 Mar 2009    #44    2 weeks
Young OH OH!                            17 Jun 2009    #31    3 weeks
Lucky Star                              22 Aug 2012    #46    2 weeks
Everybody Say No                        24 Oct 2012    #49    2 weeks

Albums

Neu                                     20 Sep 2000    #36    2 weeks
Eno                                     06 Jun 2001    #61    1 week
Lo-Bits*                                24 Apr 2002    #97    1 week
For Young Electric Pop                  24 Jul 2002    Failed to chart
Kaja Kaja Goo*                          21 May 2003    #196   1 week
National P                              29 Oct 2003    #109   1 week
Polysics or Die!!!!                     19 May 2004    #245   1 week
Now Is The Time!                        19 Oct 2005    #52    3 weeks
Karate House                            28 Feb 2007    #27    3 weeks
We Ate The Machine                      23 Apr 2008    #26    5 weeks
We Ate The Show!!                       29 Oct 2008    #48    2 weeks
1st P/A.D.R.S.M!**                      25 Feb 2009    #175   1 week   
Absolute Polysics                       16 Sep 2009    #21    5 weeks
Bestoisu!!!!                            13 Jan 2010    #26    4 weeks
Eee-P!!!*                               08 Dec 2010    #38    2 weeks
Oh! No! It's Heavy Polysick!!!          09 Mar 2011    #27    4 weeks
15th P                                  29 Feb 2012    #27    2 weeks
Weeeeeeeeee!!!                          05 Dec 2012    #46    2 weeks
Mega Over Drive*                        09 Oct 2013    #41    2 weeks
Action!!!                               15 Jan 2014    #27    2 weeks
Hen 愛 Let’s Go!*                       25 Mar 2015    #74    2 weeks
Hen 愛 Let's Go! 2~ウルトラ怪獣総進撃~* 08 Jul 2015    #39    2 weeks
What's This???                          02 Mar 2016    #48    2 weeks
Replay!                                 22 Feb 2017    #62    1 week

DVD

PippikippippiP in USA                   25 Feb 2004    #276   1 week
Now Is The Live!                        23 Aug 2006    #160   1 week
Clips Or Die!!!                         22 Aug 2007    #129   1 week
Budokan Or Die!!!                       07 Jul 2010    #20    2 weeks
AX Mach                                 13 Jul 2011    #106   1 week

* - Mini-album
** - Album Re-issue

Curiously, the For Young Electric Pop album isn't listed. I assume it's a website error as I'd always thought of it as one of their better promoted albums considering the promo videos that circulate on the net. The omission of earlier releases such as ADSRM, Plus Chicker and 1st P are probably down to the fact that they were indie releases and failed to sell in fast enough quantities to make the chart. It's also worth noting that the website lists Urge On as an A-side single, even though Polysics themselves credit XCT as the lead track.

It's interesting reading. It's obvious they're getting more popular again. Although don't assume that a higher chart position equals better sales. New Wave Jacket and Each Life Each End are their 2 most biggest selling singles, with Electric Surfin' Go Go behind it ahead of XCT. Next is Baby Bias followed by Coelacanth is Android.

Their album sales follow the same pattern of course. The order of biggest selling downwards go like this. Neu > Now is the Time! > Eno > Lo-Bits > National P > Kaja Kaja Goo > Polysics or Die!!!!

Personally, in relation to each other the chart positions don't really surprise me. However, it would make much more sense if they were all within the top 40 rather than top 250. The only one that really sticks out is probably Kaja Kaja Goo. It also make you wonder how well I My Me Mine would have performed had it been released as a commercial single.

That about wraps it up, If anyone has any more information on chart positions concerning Polysics releases then I suggest we share them here. Also, it would be interesting to know what you think of all this.

Re: Polysics Chart Positions

very interesting, thanks for posting that. i think alot of Japanese bands that tour alot outside Japan aren't that huge at home, look Electric Eel Shock for example they're playing gigs almost every day all over the world but they rarely play in japan because no one knows who they are.

Just thought I'd add to this thread by including Polysics' UK chart positions.

New Wave Jacket / My Sharona                           4 Oct 2004   #134

Only one so far, but's it's a relatively impressive one considering it was only available on 7". I'm guessing it's success was down to the John Peel Session which was aired around the same time. I couldn't find any information on how their other UK releases (Kaja Kaja Goo, I My Me Mine on single and all the UK albums) so I'm guessing none of them managed to make the charts.

bizarrely that was the only UK release i had trouble finding, must sold out pretty then, well the very few copies that the shops stocked

Quick update

Soundscan Japan and Oricons DVD chart lists Polysics' latest release

Soundscan Japan
Now Is The Live!         23 Aug 2006     #8     Sales - 1,367

Oricon DVD Chart
Now Is The Live!         23 Aug 2006     #16

I'm glad to see they're getting into the top ten stuff now.

Just updated the first post. The new single has become Polysics' highest charting single to date on the oricon survey, entering at #45. It's currently their 5th biggest-selling single.

Just found another UK chart position

Kaja Kaja Goo                   28 Aug 2004               #162

I've just updated the first post with some more information on the recent single.

It seems to have dropped off the charts after 3 weeks. I don't know the exact numbers, but the week that You-You-You entered the charts the single at #30 sold around 5,000 copies, so I'm guessing that they could manage around 10,000 copies sold in the end. It's currently Polysics' 3rd biggest selling single. Here's the full list (biggest selling first)

SINGLES
New Wave Jacket
Each Life Each End
You-You-You
Electric Surfin' Go Go
Urge On / XCT
Baby Bias
Coelacanth Is Android

ALBUMS
Neu
Now Is The Time!
ENO
Lo-Bits
National P
Kaja Kaja Goo
Polysics Or Die!!!!

It seems as though Catch On Everywhere has been a big enough hit to keep up Polysics recent Top 50 run on the charts. It's debuted at #45 with fewer than 3,300 sales (that's what the #30 managed). Interestingly, the first day sales of the single placed it at #18 on the daily charts.

It's climbling the charts, it's now at 33...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNVXLg2a8zE

They are SO out of place on that list, especially amidst all the enka stuff...

Nevertheless, let's hope they can keep climbing!

...still misses kayo...

Amazingly, the Oricon daily chart had the new Polysics album charting at #10 for it's day of release. Polysics usually do quite well with their first day sales it seems (Catch On Everywhere reached #18) as most Polysics fans buy the album on the day of release. Album sales will probably slow up near the end of the week, but it looks like Karate House is gonna be their most successful album (at least since Neu).

By the way, can anyone get confirmation of that #33 position for Catch On Everywhere. That youtube video got taken down, and the Oricon site hasn't updated the entry for the single. I'll update it anyways soon, but I just want some information on how many weeks it spent in the chart.

The new Polysics album debuted at #27 with sales of 8,588. It's already outsold Now Is The Time! according to Oricon.

Pupponvesh wrote:

Amazingly, the Oricon daily chart had the new Polysics album charting at #10 for it's day of release. Polysics usually do quite well with their first day sales it seems (Catch On Everywhere reached #18) as most Polysics fans buy the album on the day of release. Album sales will probably slow up near the end of the week, but it looks like Karate House is gonna be their most successful album (at least since Neu).

By the way, can anyone get confirmation of that #33 position for Catch On Everywhere. That youtube video got taken down, and the Oricon site hasn't updated the entry for the single. I'll update it anyways soon, but I just want some information on how many weeks it spent in the chart.

It spent two weeks in the charts. I've lost the link though. sad

16 (edited by Pupponvesh 2007-11-28 08:19:02)

Ok, I've seen a couple of charts for the past week that Rocket was released and unfortunately it looks like it hasn't charted in the top 100. Nothing is certain yet (I'll have to wait for a couple of the websites to update). It's an odd situtation as the single debuted at #33 based on first day sales.

There is some good news though. Whilst hunting around I found a chart containing information for DVD sales. It turned out Clips Or Die!!!! charted back in August reaching #20 and selling 1,001 copies in it's first week.

I've just found out that Rocket debuted at #52.

Pretty Good has debuted at #65 with sales of 1,684.

We Ate The Machine has entered at #26 with sales of 7,888. It's currently the bands third biggest selling album behind Neu in second and Karate House in first.

Wow thank you for the information !
We Ate the Machine is awesome smile

http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/11/44/62/47/smallp10.jpg
                       Shizuka is a machine doctor         

Hmm, nice to see the POLYs getting some more much deserved success. Continue your Polyvangelism and maybe we can see more of them in the U.S!

Hold the pickles. Hold the lettuce. Special orders don

Pupponvesh, where do you get your info from? All I've seen is We Ate The Machine ranking at #13 in Oricon on April 23rd but I guess that was a day ranking based on the pre-orders right?

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2295/photosn987opyxc7.jpg

23 (edited by Pupponvesh 2008-05-16 19:50:00)

There's a couple of places I look at. The most informative is the Oricon chart thread over at Jpopmusic. They mostly just waffle on about which silly boy/girl pop sensation is selling better than the others, ut in amongst it all there are few people that list the full chart with sales figures. The thread can be found here http://www.jpopmusic.com/forums/viewtop … mp;start=0

The other site I use for confirmation is a Japanese site I found by accident. It just lists all of Polysics' releases along with the chart data. It can be found here. http://ranking.oricon.co.jp/free_conten … search.y=0

Quick update on We Ate The Machine. It's in it's 3rd week on the charts. Here's the rundown so far
1st week - no.26 (sales of 7,888)
2nd week - no.63 (sales of 2,782)
3rd week - no.85 (sales of 1,573)

Total sales put it at 12,243. It's currently Polysics' biggest selling album in Japan ahead of Karate House in 2nd, Neu in 3rd, Now Is The Time! in 4th and Eno in 5th.

The bands top 5 selling singles are
New Wave Jacket
Each Life Each End
You-You-You
Rocket
Electric Surfin' Go Go

Now I can finally keep up with sales. I never really had any place to go, I just waited for those who did know.

Just updated the thread with information on the 1st P!/ADSRM re-release. Seems like that and last years live album have done reasonably well. It'll be interesting to see how the new single does. I do get the feeling that the band are in gradual decline at the moment, popularity-wise at least.